Anyone else trying to lose weight or get healthier?

home.PNG

Our house is 2 minutes from the largest x-country ski trails in the US and we also can ski right on the property. I already have my pass too!

I jumped into this thread late but I've had a bit of a pendulum in my weight over the past, I'm not sure... Nearly two-ish years? And would absolutely love to get back on track.

I was the heaviest I've ever been in my entire life in early 2018 because of having whiplash from a head-on collision we were in on the freeway. It could've been so much worse. I got a little money out of it as a settlement as it was completely and unambiguously the other driver's fault. Still would have preferred to never have gotten injured in the first place and backslid so hard. Essentially the only physical fitnessy things I could do without excruciating pain (either during exercise or as a consequence later) were using our semi-broken stationary bike or going on walks. I already walked a ton so the walking itself didn't do all that much for weight loss but I did peel away 10-ish pounds and was super excited about that fact.

Then we got engaged and I really really didn't want to just automatically outright hate all the expensive wedding photography we would be paying for, and we'd just moved to a new city so a little over a year after the car accident (and I had gone through physical therapy and had been cleared for more kinds of physical activity) we started going to a kettlebell-specific gym near our home (and not Crossfit, all the kettlebell instructors I've ever known are very quick to clarify that it's not Crossfit) and with a combination of diet (and really tracking with MyFitnessPal) plus this particular form of strength training that can be extremely cardio-heavy for being strength training I got into the best shape of my adult life and all my residual neck/shoulder pain just vanished.

Since COVID our gym has been doing virtual classes through ZOOM which is better than nothing but we only own wimpy little kettlebells ourselves (a 25 and a 35 pound respectively whereas what I was swinging at the gym when going in person was 50, 60 or 70 pound bells right when things closed down) so my weight has backslid, in addition to getting lax about tracking my calories.

Anyway, all that's to say I am really eager to get back on the bandwagon. My husband participated in some weight loss coaching provided through his health insurance so with it we got a handy dandy new bathroom scale, kitchen scale, resistance bands and cookbook full of really boring seeming recipes but helpful planning tips. Weighing myself for the first time in months it was less dire than I'd feared but definitely weight that I really wish I hadn't gained.

Anyway, sorry that got so long. It's encouraging to read about all your weight loss/fitness/health journeys!

Welcome aboard @JustSarahThanks ! I wish you success with your journey and goals!
This weekend has been my weak end. See what I did there🤣 But seriously, I had my nieces and nephews over for a campout, with my son, in our backyard and we had pizza for dinner and donuts for breakfast. And I was out a lot today so had fast food for dinner and bought caramel popcorn as a snack. Lots of sugar but its so good! Sigh. Well, tomorrow is another day to try!

View attachment 2368347
Our house is 2 minutes from the largest x-country ski trails in the US and we also can ski right on the property. I already have my pass too!

Looks like HEAVEN!!!

Is that around Mt Baker? Once when we lived in Vancouver, BC (I've lived there at different times) we had a great view of Mt Baker from our bedroom window.

Welcome!

It sounds like you've been through a lot but are coming out the other end. I assume if you just got married that you're young. That means you have lots of time to work at this.

Good luck!

Young-ish, I think? I'm 36, was just shy of my 34th birthday when we were in the accident, married at 35. But hopefully young enough to not have all the difficult metabolic roadblocks to navigate quite yet. When we started the kettlebell fitness stuff last year along with tackling dietary changes we were both seeing results pretty fast. I really do strongly recommend kettlebell fitness programs for anyone who can do it, it's been so awesome. It does require a lot of in-person coaching to do it safely, though, which is a challenge at the moment of course.

I've seen kettlebells but I have no idea what the workout is.

I think there's a few different schools of kettlebell training, the gym we attend was affiliated with Strong First (although they have since parted ways) and we tried another Strong First-affiliated gym when we lived in Seattle, too. They have a somewhat different usage/type of training than Crossfit, which also uses them. I haven't ever personally tried Crossfit so I can't comment on that. The fundamental movement with a kettlebell is a hip hinge and pretty much everything else we do builds off that, swings and the like. The breathing is also pretty important.

I was digging around for some more info on it and came on this webmd article if you're curious. Again, it's been amazing for us! I don't know if it's for everyone. It's fixed everything that was wrong with my neck and left shoulder after the car accident, though, and left me feeling more limber than I have, really, since I was a teenager.

Back
Top Bottom