Anyone ever buy eggs off ebay

I have bought eggs from eBay twice. First time I paid for 6 and got 10. 8 were fertile but only 2 hatched. That was partly my fault though as at the time I was a real hatching novice and did just about everything I could to sabotage them, all in the name of 'helping'. I think if I'd been more experienced, I'd probably have ended up with 4 or 5 chicks.

Second time I got 12 eggs (same breed as the first ones, different seller) and I ran them at the same humidity. I didn't know much about shell porosity back then. These eggs were much more porous and thin shelled, and incubated at the same humidity as the first batch, they lost far too much moisture and dried out completely. I had 9 developing chicks and should have been on track for a good hatch but I ruined it through ignorance.

Anyway, back then as a novice I was convinced that I'd had poor quality eggs or weak chicks or anything else that wasn't my fault. But I know now that if I had those same eggs today I'd almost certainly be able to get a good bunch of chicks out of them. I sometimes think that's why eBay eggs have such a bad rep, cause it's mostly beginners that buy their eggs from there. I don't know if that's correct though, maybe I'm wrongly assuming other newbies are as silly as I was!

Hi
smile.png

I purchased several batches of eggs off of Ebay and the only ones I had luck with were the Ameraucana Eggs and it turned out the lady I purchased them from also sells here at auction! I also purchased some Blue Laced Red Wyandottes from the Auction here and got 3 out of 6 but I probably would have gotten more if I was better at Incubating them!!! I also won another auction here and they are in the incubator now and it looks like 12 of 15 are good and 6 of 9 are good! I would buy from here first if I were you IMO
frow.gif

I got 14 OEG eggs in the mail from Virginia and they all got here safe, however they might have got tossed around because I only have 3 eggs alive now. I went into lockdown yesterday and I already have my brooder. i really hope these hatch!

Last edited:
I got 10 Silkie eggs in incubator now put in yesterday from ebay & 14 eggs I got from a BYC'r and we'll see who's eggs hatch.I have mine on cam for the last 3 days. http://tinyurl.com/6439gkh On the 11th of next month the cam will be turned on.Join me on the hatch!
fl.gif
Everything is in excellent running condition as for temps & humidity!

Last edited:
You aren't actually buying eggs from eBay. You are buying eggs from individuals who list on eBay.

So you can not evaluate eggs "from eBay". You can only evaluate eggs from individual sellers.

The individual sellers will have different quality birds, different quality packaging, differing degrees of honesty and customer service.

One thing you can evaluate is the Post Office handling of eggs. They are the ones to ship all the eggs, and their handling is genuinely awful. You can almost guarantee they will break or kill a % of the eggs you have purchased.

Just did my first hatch from six eggs purchased through an ebay seller. All were fertile; three out of the six hatched. When I checked on the remaining three, two had progressed fairly far enough along before expiring, one appeared to have expired about half way through the incubation.

I'm using a Brinsea mini advanced that only holds 7 eggs and when I incubated my own eggs the hatch rate was 90 percent.

I was pleased with this 50 percent hatch rate. The eggs were sent from a seller in New York state down to Georgia so they had quite a ways to travel. They were packed very well.

Gail

soo what r the odds of non of mine hatching, i have 7 buff barred cochin bantams, 11 frizzle cochin bantams, and 7 blue silkies in there all from being shipped. u think some will hatch, i have 5 of my own eggs in there and there growing perfectly, but i havent checked the others.

To tell ya'll the truth abut postal service is that it all boils down to the packaging.If they package them good enough they won't break.Mostly there is a vertality rate your looking at.So you can't really blame it all on postal people. I have had some shipped from way up north and I had a 95% hatch rate with that. The postal handliers can only be blamed for a small percentage rate.

Back
Top Bottom