1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone ever criticize you about having to many animals...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by protodon, Jan 16, 2010.

1. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I just have to vent because my family is constantly getting on my nerves about my animals. For a few years I just had chickens. Then I expanded to ducks and geese. Those were all originally for eggs. Last year I started with nigerian dwarf goats for milk and bees for honey. This year I plan on getting 25 to 50 ducks and chickens for meat. I enjoy the self-sufficient lifestyle and making my own food. My family enjoys the eggs and more recently the meat from my culled roosters. And yet, they keep telling me I have too many animals. I don't understand how they can say I have too many animals then partake in the foods that my animals produce. It's so frustrating when I told my mom I was getting 25 meat ducks, in the same sentence she tells me that I need to stop getting animals and oh, so we're going to be eating a lot of duck?! Um, I am! Not you! And when my family hears about these "large" shipments of animals I am getting soon. They don't seem to realize that they are not pets that will be here foreever but will be gone in 2 months.

And also being the only one in my family with land and farm animals, my family to come over my house and see them and take pictures and take their products and still tell me I have too many. This whole situation has me losing my mind! Anyone else have friends or family like this?

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    [​IMG] Yep, me!

3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] Same here....but they know I am just going to ignore them. [​IMG]

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    oh yes, I get it all the time. "You have too many chickens." "Why do you have goats?"" Save your money and get rid of some." Blah blah blah, whatever.

5. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Yes, it is a constant battle. They are constantly criticizing and making fun of me having the birds. I come from a farming background even! I think chickens/ducks/etc.. are the low ones on the totem pole of livestock. They are just not seen in the same light as other animals. Even when I had goats growing up, it was something that was laughed at. It is just not seen the same as pigs, cattle, sheep, etc...

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Dw

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    "If I didnt have so many, I couldn't share them with you". You're right they don't think about them as food so 25 seems like a swarm, many people today will tell you food comes from the store. [​IMG]

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Yup, but they do not how to grow, harvest, forage, or hunt their own food. But since I love them anyway, when the zombies come I will still let the be part of my serfdom.

9. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You are more of a softie at heart than I am.

If you like taking home food from my farm, do not tell me to get rid of my animals! Those animals are some of the same animals that you take home to eat.
    I am a practical sort of person, My job is to provide for my family.
    If I can do what you have been doing, my family will feel Blessed!

If your family continues to tell you to get rid of your animals - I'd forget they were getting any meat from me, including eggs! [​IMG] That's how I feel!
    I wouldn't put up with your family's version of "wine and dine", towards you.

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Anyone ever criticize you about having to many animals...

Nope.

I don't hear certain subjects of conversation, so even if they did, I wouldn't have heard it.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by