Anyone ever had a chicken adopt a skunk before????!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey...I'd rather sleep curled up next to/under a warm fluffy chicken than out in the cold too! Is the hen laying? I guess my only concern would be her/him eating the eggs (can't even remember whether skunks will eat eggs), or if you had little chicks around. If that's not an issue, then all's well! Do you think the skunk is eating the chickens' feed??? That little skunk probably feels like he's won the lottery!
yippiechickie.gif

Oh, it's so cute! I know it's probably not a good idea, but golly, I'd probably be suckered right in to giving it a name and letting momma hen keep it around for a little bit. Stranger partnerships have happened
hu.gif

I am sorry, I am ever so panic by this post and I have not read them all. Have you ever considered that this skunk may have RABIES ?
barnie.gif

This is not normal behavior for a skunk. Do be careful. This maybe a sick animal and your hen is broody and if not messed with, she will sit tight. Duh‼‼
duc.gif

She, your hen may have even been bitten or nipped. You need to check her for bites or scratchs and when you do you had better not get bitten. I say this in a caring and concerned manner....DO NOT BE STUPID and assume this is and OK animal.

Last edited:
While skunks definitely do carry rabies, that isn't necessarily the case. There are strange 'adoptions' all through nature. I wouldn't handle the skunk (chickens do not get rabies), but I would observe its behavior.

As may be the case, I would still check the bird for bites. They can still get an infection from a bite wound.
roll.png
Some hens will sit very tight. What that means is that they are excellent mothers and it takes a lot of "fuss" for them to "leave" the nest. A hen may tolerate a few bites or scratches to maintain the security of the nest.
duc.gif

Last edited:
I agree that there are strange partnerships in nature. This is indeed interesting and I would like frequent updates as well as more picture. My concern though is that your chickens are obviously open to predators in their current surroundings. Do you have a way to better predator proof your chickens?

Quote:
That little baby could probably squeeze through a fence, mom skunk on the other hand might have a problem. I'm guessing the baby is the size of a kitten, and a kitten could easily squeeze through the wire in my run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom