Anyone ever had a chicken adopt a skunk before????!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a very interesting thread.... I love hearing about animals who are supposed to eat each other actually live in harmony. The weirdest I saw was a rat and a snake... Thank you for not harming the skunk, sometimes or always it is better to observe first and shoot second.... Why are people so scared of Rabies? I think maybe 1 to 3 people in the US die from it a year, it is really not that relevant... If rabies scares you like that you should scream and cry every time you look at your car, fast food, or your cell phone, cause it's gonna kill you! FYI evolution tid bit, Darwin basically stole his ideas from a poor insect taxonomist named Alfred Russell Wallace, that's what rich clergy men did in those times, kinda like today!!! Look it up...

Are you kidding! Real book learn' is not for the faint of heart. My guess is most people cannot read which is the real sin in this country.
old.gif

Quote:
Well, there's a real good chance the car, cell phone or a moderate amount of fast food will not kill you - rabies will kill you dead. I agree the skunk looked healthy enough, but that is no assurance that it isn't a carrier. There is only one known survivor of a rabies infection, I have no idea how she's doing now, there was neurological damage at the very least. So you would be wise to be very scared of rabies. It's well controlled due to vigilant vaccinations, but accidents do happen, people do get bit by rabid animals, if it's reported and dealt with quickly enough, you won't die of rabies, but why would anyone take the chance?

Yes, rabies will kill you dead, if you don't get the shots for the infection within 7 to 10 days. I'm in the medical field, I see problems from obesity, car crashes, and car crashes from cell phones, just about everyday. I have only seen a person treated for rabies once, a rabid otter bit them... about 5 years ago. They recovered with treatment. If you receive treatment you will live!

"So you would be wise to be very scared of rabies."

Then you would be wise to scared of just about everything... I think life is too short to be very scared of everything. The media and government would like you to be scared, your really easy to control then! Fear shuts your brain off and puts you into fight or flight, and cognition levels go down. Autonomicly.

I live in the "shark bite capital of the world", I surf just about 3 to 5 days a week. I have never been bitten. Yes I see sharks in the water all the time for multiple decades. If I had a high fear factor I would enjoy life a lot less...

"Well, there's a real good chance the car, cell phone or a moderate amount of fast food will not kill you - rabies will kill you dead."

Sorry but you are incorrect. 3 million injuried and over 40,000 deaths from car accidents, alone... The numbers aren't even close, it is a fact that your car is much more dangerous to you than a rabid animal or just about anything...

But my car doesn't scare me either...

Ruana - Thanks for checking back in and letting us know how it went
smile.png

I'm glad to hear it went well, and glad you have memories and pics of something so endearing.

Last edited:
Quote:
You need to receive treatment before you develop symptoms. Once you've developed symptoms, it's too late. If you are in the medical field surely you understand that. Getting into a car doesn't kill you. Eating an occasional McDonald's hamburger doesn't kill you. Getting an occasional bite from a rabid animal will most definitely kill you.

"So you would be wise to be very scared of rabies."

Then you would be wise to scared of just about everything... I think life is too short to be very scared of everything. The media and government would like you to be scared, your really easy to control then! Fear shuts your brain off and puts you into fight or flight, and cognition levels go down. Autonomicly.

I live in the "shark bite capital of the world", I surf just about 3 to 5 days a week. I have never been bitten. Yes I see sharks in the water all the time for multiple decades. If I had a high fear factor I would enjoy life a lot less...

I wasn't the one who said I was scared - I'm not.

"Well, there's a real good chance the car, cell phone or a moderate amount of fast food will not kill you - rabies will kill you dead."

Sorry but you are incorrect. 3 million injuried and over 40,000 deaths from car accidents, alone... The numbers aren't even close, it is a fact that your car is much more dangerous to you than a rabid animal or just about anything...

But my car doesn't scare me either...

But I am not incorrect. Statistically, if you get rabies, you die. Statistically, if you get into your car and drive, you don't. Yes, people are injured in cars, but many more drive daily with no incident. My car doesn't scare me, never said it did - but rabies does.

Be careful with statistics - they can be used to prove your point only when they're applied properly.​

Ok, how about from another perspective?! I've had to have the rabies shots because of a bite by a dog at large.. Trust me, I am told the way they do it now is much better, but it was NOT fun. Plus, I live in the midwest in Central Michigan. Rabies is actually sort of a big deal out here, and I didn't look to see where you are at where you can surf daily, but with that kind of weather, doesn't sound like you live in a healthy rabies vector. I'm probably more out in the country, just sayin'.

You medical "professionals" don't see a lot of rabies issues because folks like us have learned how to deal with it from our parents, and grand parents and so on and so forth and etc etc etc. Heck, as a medical "professional" you should know that the use of soap in the house has cut down on many deadly infections since it became common. We don't need doctors and nurses to always tell us what is and isn't good for us. Sometimes it is not fear or ignorance in a subject. Sometimes its just plain old common sense.

Just sayin'

Last edited:
"You medical "professionals" don't see a lot of rabies issues because folks like us have learned how to deal with it from our parents, and grand parents and so on and so forth and etc etc etc. "

I don't look at it as us and YOU. Plus, a lot of the time, what I see is, people with poor support systems and that never learned strong coping skills that I wish they were taught from kin. But I do love the word accountability!

"Heck, as a medical "professional" you should know that the use of soap in the house has cut down on many deadly infections since it became common."

This has nothing to do with what we talked about and is a rhetorical statement.

"We don't need doctors and nurses to always tell us what is and isn't good for us."

Are you sure, I was taught our first job is to teach and educate people about their ailment. I guess no body educated you to our health epidemic in this country? It is for real, come to Florida the land of retirement and walk into any hospital and tell me what you see.

"Getting an occasional bite from a rabid animal will most definitely kill you. "

Since Boyd was bit I guess this means he's dead then?

"I wasn't the one who said I was scared - I'm not."

But you are telling other people to be "very scared", so that doesn't make much sense.

BTW my "Med-surg Nursing" edition 7 states, 1 to 3 people in the US die from rabies a year. Yes, one to three people!

FYI rabies info from: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/diseases/rabies.htm
RABIES
What
are the symptoms of the disease?
Normally between three weeks and three months can pass between infection and the onset of symptoms (incubation period). But in individual instances, it may be as much as several years.

In spite of being bitten by an animal with rabies, it's not certain that you have been infected. Only one out of six people who have been bitten develop symptoms – even if they have not been treated.

If you get rabies and do not manage to be treated in time, the disease evolves in two phases.

The prodomal phase (prelude)
In this phase, the patient may have a fever, vomiting and loss of appetite, headache and pain at the site of the original bite.

The autonomic nervous system is affected. This manifests itself as copious salivation and weeping.

The neurological phase
Paralysis may occur in this phase. In particular, there are spasms in the throat, making swallowing difficult.

The person affected becomes terrified of water (which is why it's also called 'hydrophobia') and becomes anxious and hyperactive.

It is in this phase that animals become mad and bite. Symptoms such as those seen in encephalitis are also present, along with increasingly uncontrolled movement, confusion and delirium.

Prospects
Once visible symptoms have developed, the mortality rate is almost 100 per cent. Very few people are known to have survived a rabies infection.

The suspicion of infection can be allayed by observing whether the animal fails to develop signs of the disease over 10 days.

The disease does not develop if appropriate treatment is applied in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom