Anyone ever hatch a double yolker??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Beekissed, May 16, 2008.

1. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Was wondering if any of you ever incubated and hatched a double yolker? Did both chicks come out? [​IMG]

2. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:No, I haven't,but there is a thread somewhere on here about it. I was curious about it too. If I get a double yolker,I'm going to try to hatch it. I read that no chicks have survived, but there is always a first time. Apparently the air sac is only big enough for one chick.I think that's why they die. Don't quote me on that though.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Do a search on speckledhen. She tried to hatch one last yr. the chick did not survive hatching. There is not enough room in the air cell for 2 chicks.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I candled one that looked like it had TWO little dark spots in it and it was going well for about 2 weeks...then nothing. Only one chick hatched out, so I'm not sure what happened to it?

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Thanks SG for posting the link

6. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Your welcome...

7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, I did have a duck egg with a duckling fully formed and it died as it could not absorb all of the yolk. Unfortunately I have seen chicks hatch with yolk still out of them and it will begin to smell in your incubator, even if they are viable at hatching time, the yolk hardens on their outside and inside. Slow and painful death. So if you candle your eggs, you will not have to deal with dying chicks. (This happened to me with a faulty incubator themometer, some hatched at 19 days, then others hatched and died, smelled like rotten eggs, and out side they went in the cold before they hatched.)

8. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    I have had them get to the point of one chick actually pipping the shell but there wasn't enough room for it to turn and the other bottom chick never stood a chance....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by