Anyone ever have a Coturnix go broody?

wifezilla had one

img00170m.jpg

Me too
smile.png

This little girl hatched out 6 chicks successfully, she was in an outdoor pen in a hutch with other quail and it was heading into winter here in the UK at the time so I bought her indoors with her brood.
37551_broody_quail.jpg

I've had a few coturnix go broody. My experience is that its more likely to occur when the quail are provided when there is plenty of space and privacy. Also, coturnix that are less domesticated seem to be more likely to go broody than the breeds and mutations most of us keep. I have a friend in Europe who has some quail that are not many generations from wild, Eurasian common coturnix, and his birds more readily nest and hatch out their own young than the more domesticated ones he also has.

Go to the nearest 7-11. Buy a scratch off lottery ticket. Scratch it off, and if you get a return on your $1 investment of $1 or more, then multiply that by 2x500,000, and those are your odds of getting a broody coturnix hen that actually hatches and raises her "Brood" to adulthood.

People really do win the lottery....Everyone else uses an incubator, and brooder setup....just in case they don't hit the lottery.

Quote:
Hi, no most probably not, she was kept outside with 6 other hens some were of the wild colouration and they were all laying eggs in the hutch that she went broody in, she wasn't that great in caring for them though she kept picking their toes in the end I put her back out and reared them myself, sadly she escaped one day and was caught by a cat so I no longer have her
sad.png

I've recently purchased and set 4 new hens to my brood that are "supposed" to be broody. They havent laid any eggs of their own as yet but ive several fertile eggs set aside for incubating from my original hen. So far ive had to remove the Cockerel as he wont allow them to settle and has plucked most of the feathers from the back of their heads (in an attempt to court them). Once i did this, the hens began to nest so i gently placed 5 eggs under one hen. Then hen proceeded to turn the eggs and was quit content to sit on them until the hen that laid the eggs intervened. Ive since removed the hen that laid the eggs from the avairy in attempt to let the broody hens settle long enough for the eggs to begin development.

FINGERS CROSSED!!

I have created a page with photos and comments for anyone who may be interested in seeing this in action. Best of luck to all with thier hens!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Feathered-Friends/574362732574757

Back
Top Bottom