Anyone ever have a hen that comes when you call her?

Yep...our light brahma hen, Buffy. I can call her name and she comes running when the others don't. They are all good about coming when we call "chick-chick" and shake the scratch bucket, but Buffy is definitely special.

Ferdy is very pretty. Looking forward even more now to the NN chicks I am getting next week.
smile.png

Out of my 13 hens, 8 come when called by name. My rooster comes too, but as his name usually has cuss words attached to it, he probably thinks they are part of his name.

No, he's not a mean roo. I just remind him frequently that I'm in charge.

My hens all come running when they see me coming and I call to them. But my rooster actually knows his name and comes when called. If I'm sitting out there with them and I say his name, he stops what he's doing and comes to see what I want. He jumps on my knee, likes being held and loves to have his chest rubbed. He's a tiny d'uccle and such a sweet boy. He's also an excellent protector and food-finder for his 10 bantam girls! He finds food and literally feeds it to them, mouth to mouth. So cute!

Last edited:
One of our 8 week old mottled java chicks "Mia" seems to have really taken to us. She runs over to us, hops up on our shoes and looks up at us as if asking to be picked up... seems to really enjoy being held. I've had chickens that like attention... but never one so assertive in wanting to be held. My son handles her daily and I am thinking this girl may have showmanship potential.

Once when my chickens were younger and I still had my other roo, Zeus, we sat out watching chicken TV one night. It was getting late, so I just hollered out "Alright Zeus! Time to take the girls to bed!" It was just coincidence that the roo herded the girls in at precisely that moment, but to this day my DH thinks my chickens actually do what I tell them to.
gig.gif

Son has a standard Buff Cochin named P'nut Butter that will come running when called by her name... Course I think she associates the sound of her name with a tasty treat... Lol

You know, I sometimes think that, if you have only one of a certain breed, they kind of feel lonely. Now, I am not sure if this is true, but with my personal observations, they are a flock member, but they don't always get a buddy that they hang with. Like my 3 EE hang out together, and my two BO's (the goldy sisters) and inseparable.....my two golden buff hybrids, Lily and Daisy, are two peas in a pod. Now, I have 1 RIR, and she's part of the EE flock--the boss lady, but she doesn't have a favorite buddy. Also, I have a speckled sussex that is part of the GLW flock, but she doesn't seem to have a buddy, and she's also boss lady.

These are just my personal observations. And hey, I don't think your little Naked Neck is "off". I wish somebody would pick me up and pet me too! haha

I have a little white and black chicken we call Jazzy Chicken, not sure what breed she is, she was given to me and she is my absolute fav. She likes to be petted and held. My four year old daughter loves her and so do I. She comes to her name and makes a sound like a love bird when you hold her, kinda a purring sound. She looks like a light brahma, but I'm not sure and honestly I don't care. We love her!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom