1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anyone ever seen a chicken egg this small

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sarabeth, Sep 25, 2008.

1. sarabeth

sarabeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Mammoth Spring, AR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the first egg is a pullet egg the middle is the smallest i have ever seen and the last is a leghorn egg
    the next pic is the smallest one next to a pop can tab

2. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Wow that is tiny!! Is it from a regular size chicken?

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    One of our barred rocks eggs whee that small. She only did it once though. Amazing isn't it?

4. Frogchickrincess

Frogchickrincess Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Roy Washington
    Wow what a tiny egg, I cannot wait to see what everyone says.[​IMG]

5. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I've found two like that in the last month.......mine were yokeless. Strange!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Our hens just started laying and we've gotten a few that small.... but all of ours but one have had yolks.

7. sarabeth

sarabeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Mammoth Spring, AR
    it had a yolk in it very small yolk im wondering if i could have hatched it. it was from a regular size chicken cause i dont have any small breeds.

8. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i have had white silkie pullets lay them that small, kinda funny they can lay a pullet egg smaller than my serama's lay eggs,lol. all have had tiny yolks except 1 it had just whites.

my 4 year old jelena [​IMG] 's them. her nickname is sissy and when she see's them when she helps me collect eggs, it's momma look [​IMG] they laid me a sissy size egg!!! [​IMG] she always get's them for breakfast,lol. course i still got to make her momma sized eggs too. [​IMG]

edit for spelling

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I think I've seen them called "fart eggs." Google it...

10. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww, it's a fart egg! One of my girls laid one of those when she was really young.

It's just a fluke. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your hen, it just happens when a small bit of tissue in the oviduct is mistaken for a yolk, and the albumen and shell are formed around it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by