Anyone ever seen a strange egg like this?

Luckyt21

Songster
Apr 4, 2022
Pine River, Minnesota
I found this shellless egg yesterday morning on my poop shelf. It did have some poop attached to it before I washed it off to take a picture. Idk which hen it came from. I have had lots of soft eggs in the past, but never one with that plug looking thing on it. Any explainations or known indications?

Thank you
B609A9FF-98DA-4E78-9D42-AD9ECAC0D67A.jpeg

Yup! It's just an egg that is basically shellless because it was lacking calcium to build up a nice and hard outer layer. Its just a little bit of poop attached and maybe some of the egg. It's all good, it happens to most chickens at least once in their lifetime. You can provide a calcium supplement where you actually feed the egg shells to your chickens. read HERE about that. :)

I found this shellless egg yesterday morning on my poop shelf. It did have some poop attached to it before I washed it off to take a picture. Idk which hen it came from. I have had lots of soft eggs in the past, but never one with that plug looking thing on it. Any explainations or known indications?

Thank youView attachment 3330312
It's fairly common for softees to have that little "rope" attached.

Softees themselves can be common in new layers or those approaching molt as a hiccup of the reproductive system coming on or going off line.. if nutrition is KNOWN to be adequate.

Here is a decent article (with video) about possible egg quality concerns and causes..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Yup! It's just an egg that is basically shellless because it was lacking calcium to build up a nice and hard outer layer. Its just a little bit of poop attached and maybe some of the egg. It's all good, it happens to most chickens at least once in their lifetime. You can provide a calcium supplement where you actually feed the egg shells to your chickens. read HERE about that. :)
Thank you! That makes me feel better. I do put out oyster shell mixed with their crushed up egg shells, but I will read that to make sure I’m going about that egg shell process correctly! I also have grit out for them but they don’t seem to eat it because I haven’t had to refill the hanging wall tin but once in the last 4 months. They did free range for several hours per day before the snow came. I have them on Neutrena feeds. I also have 4 roosters so I put out 2 different kinds of feed, not sure if they even know which type they should each eat (boys vs girls). I attached images of what I use. The 2 layer feeds I mix together & the all flock for the boys.
769FC865-041C-47CE-A46D-CCFEB1F46411.png
9CFCE5BA-D35A-44D0-A800-930271141586.png
FD713519-5157-4D5E-BCCB-E47F4CC6D207.png

It's fairly common for softees to have that little "rope" attached.

Softees themselves can be common in new layers or those approaching molt as a hiccup of the reproductive system coming on or going off line.. if nutrition is KNOWN to be adequate.

Here is a decent article (with video) about possible egg quality concerns and causes..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
Thanks a bunch this will be very helpful. I was worried someone now has reproductive issues or something!

Back
Top Bottom