Anyone ever use Sweet PDZ or Stall Dry with chickens?

Just wanted to add a note that you should NOT use newspaper as the top or only layer of flooring in a brooder for newborn chicks. ***Using newspaper creates a big risk of causing of Spraddle Leg***, which will cause permanent debilitating handicap to chicks if not treated right away.

The best flooring I know of for newborn chicks is pine shavings. The first 2-4 days you should cover the top with a layer of paper towels. This will keep them from eating shavings while they are trying to figure out what is and is not food. Also it provides a good textured surface for them to learn to walk on, plus it's easy to quickly grab soiled paper towels and replace them with fresh ones to do a fast cleaning of the brooder.

There is more info on good flooring for newborn chicks and chickens with leg problems near the top of the Poultry Podiatry page on my website linked in my sig below.

The best flooring I know of for newborn chicks is pine shavings. The first 2-4 days you should cover the top with a layer of paper towels. This will keep them from eating shavings while they are trying to figure out what is and is not food. Also it provides a good textured surface for them to learn to walk on, plus it's easy to quickly grab soiled paper towels and replace them with fresh ones to do a fast cleaning of the brooder.
I found puppy pee pads or the cheaper human incontinence pads to be ideal for my batch of chicks. I used the pads alone for the first week, then used wood shavings on top until I moved them to an outdoor area after 3 weeks

Back
Top Bottom