Anyone ever use Sweet PDZ or Stall Dry with chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Blue_Myst, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Songster

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm looking for a good deodorizer/moisture absorber, and I was looking at Sweet PDZ and Stall Dry that are used for horses. Has anyone ever used these, or similar products, around chickens? Do they show any interest in eating it?

I know DE works for drying as well, but it's expensive and I can't find it locally yet, so I'm looking for a cheap alternative in the meantime.

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I use Stall Dry and LOVE IT!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Have used PDZ. They do eat some and it's fine for them to do so. If you use enough, it absorbs ammonia odor pretty well, but I use food grade Diatomaceous Earth mostly since it has more uses then PDZ.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I use sweet pdz and it works great. It is similar to DE as it is made from small crustaceans. You can go to their site and read about it.

My birds have not been interested in eating it at all.

5. porteryork

porteryork Songster

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    I just started using stall dry. I acutually got two big bags free from the feed store (score) since she is no longer carrying this brand. So far, I love it.

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Love Stall Dry and wouldn't be without it!

7. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Songster

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I'm interested in checking in to Stall Dry,do you mix with shavings, or us alone?? I'm not familiar with it

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I can't find stall dry here so I settled for sweet PDZ. The chickens showed absolutely no interest in it and it dried up my little problem spot quickly - no more flies there.
    I am going to put it under my shavings when I clean the coop this week.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Robin'sBrood :

I use Stall Dry and LOVE IT!

me too​

10. c'mon eggs

c'mon eggs In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Good question! I was wondering the same thing. I plan on using it this weekend when I clean out our coop -- but I wasn't sure how much to use (we do the deep litter method and I'll be adding new shavings on top of the old). Do I just sprinkle a little in and stir it all around?? I can't wait to get rid of these flies and the stinky coop smell! Ackkk!

I just bought my 1st bag of Stall Dry this morning. The bag had a hole so the manager sold it to me for $5.00. [​IMG] I figured that was a good deal. Can't wait to try it!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: