Anyone ever use Sweet PDZ or Stall Dry with chickens?

c'mon eggs :

Good question! I was wondering the same thing. I plan on using it this weekend when I clean out our coop -- but I wasn't sure how much to use (we do the deep litter method and I'll be adding new shavings on top of the old). Do I just sprinkle a little in and stir it all around?? I can't wait to get rid of these flies and the stinky coop smell! Ackkk!

I just bought my 1st bag of Stall Dry this morning. The bag had a hole so the manager sold it to me for $5.00.
big_smile.png
I figured that was a good deal. Can't wait to try it!

That is an awesome deal! I pay $12 for 40lbs...

Yep, I just add it to the shavings and stir. I sprinkle it around my runs too to keep the smell down. I use it in my nest boxes and also in my litterboxes inside my home. It is amazing stuff. I've even sprinkled it on the floor where one of my cats had an accident. I let it sit for awhile then vacuumed it up. I couldn't live without this stuff.

I will say though it has not got rid of the flies this year. The coop doesn't smell but the flies are out of control. There is another thread going about flies now. So far, I've tried everything and nothing works
sad.png

Thanks everyone!
big_smile.png
I thought it would be safe but I wanted to make sure. I don't want to take risks with my little girls!

I just bought my 1st bag of Stall Dry this morning. The bag had a hole so the manager sold it to me for $5.00.
big_smile.png
I figured that was a good deal. Can't wait to try it!

Whoa, you sure got a bargain!​

Based on information I found on this forum, I use PDZ on the poop board of my coop. I just cover the board about 2-3 inches deep. Seems to last a long time too. The chicks do not eat it and it keeps the poopy smell out of the coop. It makes it so easy to clean, just scoop it like a kitty litter box. I love this stuff and am so grateful to have found out about it. My run is 17 x 24 feet, and uncovered for the PDZ.. Currently covering the run with sand and hope it works as described on this forum.
But PDZ is great stuff.

Last edited:
Hi Folks. I'm a newbie. This is our first season with chickens. We have 8. The coop is built but the run is not finished yet. After reading a ton on this site, I decided a poop board was the way to go. At first I thought I'd scrap the (vinyl covered) board every day and even planned an easy way to scrape it right into a bucket hanging below the board. But this is not ideal. It sticks. It looks gross. It smells. It's a chore. So I tried pine shavings. It was worse - so much more work So I bought some Stall Dry, finished installing a lip around the board, and voila! It is THE BEST and EASIEST, and CLEANEST way of maintaining the inside of the coop. I just filled the board with the entire 40# bag, bought a cat litter scoop, and it takes a few minutes to scoop the poops out. It smells neutral, almost sweet. No flies. I just dump what I scooped into the compost.

Success! I just wanted to share my experience and say that the Stall Dry product is great. It is compostable and acceptable for organic operations.

Check it out the manufacturers site at:http://www.absorbentproductsltd.com/stall-dry-deodorization-and-ammonia-control.html

Has anyone used it in the brooder with the babies? Mine are in the utility room and just wondered if I could sprinkle a little in with the shavings so I wouldn't have to clean it quite so often. I clean it now about every other day or so. If I could stretch it to about every 3-4 days would be ideal.

Back
Top Bottom