Anyone ever used Frontline on their chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sumatra503, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I was wondering if Frontline is safe to use on chickens. If so it would treat lice and legmites very effectively.I had an outbreak of poultry lice a few weeks back and have tried everything to get rid of them. I've sprayed the chickens coop down til it was dripping and dusted all the chickens evry 7-10 days for quite a while now.

Can I use Frontline on some of the chickens I won't be eating eggs from. Also, Is Ivermec a better alternative for treating them?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

For lice:
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
    This says retreat in two weeks with Sevin (and I personally would also do it in one week).
    When you dust, make sure that you get under the wings and around the vent area.

For scaly leg mites:
    a lot of BYC'ers swear by smearing vaseline on the legs every day.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=83840
    see post #2 and post #8

I have never used Frontline. I personally like Eprinex pour on for mites. I think it would also kill leg mites, but don't know for sure.

3. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I am well aware of the correct way of treating the chickens. I have been raising them for nearly 10 years. I have successfully treated it many times in the past with vasceline. I use a more reliable spray instead of a dust, but have used both.

My question is simple. Can Frontline be used safely on chickens?

Also, Could Ivermec be used on chickens?

I know the ways of treating it, just looking for a better one that is easier on flighty birds.

4. noblehillfarm

noblehillfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Tyngsboro, Ma
    I was wondering the same thing or even Advantix, the main ingredient in Advantix is Imidacloprid which is the same thing they spray fruits and veggies with.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    A Veterinarian friend uses Frontline Spray, not the spot on, on his chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by