Anyone fed their chickens this or something like this?

Pics
Mar 28, 2022
Hi everyone! I’m looking at giving my chickens and ducks a treat. They do get and absolutely LOVE dried mealworms as a treat but I’m looking for a wee bit more.
My ducks love green peas and kale in water, the chickens couldn’t care less. I’ve tried blue berries, strawberries and watermelon also and not one duck or chicken went for any of it!
I’m looking at this item and was wondering if anyone has tried it or has any other ideas that might be a hit with my boring gang. My ducks and chickens are all free range, they give me beautiful eggs each day and seem happy but I just wanted to offer more.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 4FA36CC1-6766-44B9-8CB1-10362E3559C2.png
    4FA36CC1-6766-44B9-8CB1-10362E3559C2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • 6A8DA047-B556-49F5-865C-B64155162EB3.png
    6A8DA047-B556-49F5-865C-B64155162EB3.png
    2 MB · Views: 5
I would focus on adding living variety to your pasture, rather than reaching for dried bagged mixes. In fact, I do.

and fwiw, my birds ignore roses, basil, rosemary, and a host of other plants. A few of my birds snack on oregano - I allow it to overgrow one of my raised beds, pictured here. Most ignore that too.

I've not grown any lavendar since returning to FL, but mostly, I don't see the purported benefit of that mix unless its intended to influence egg color - and there are better choices for that. Its effect as a parasitic control are likely negligible at best.

I have an Etsy shop where I sell poultice treats if you would like to check it out. :) It’s been d as low going, so I really appreciate any interest or feedback. I have herbal wellness blends as well. I have never tried that blend, but I sell a forage mix that is somewhat similar. My birds love it! I’ve gotten good feedback on it as well. I can post a link if you like. :)

...wondering if anyone has tried it or has any other ideas that might be a hit with my boring gang. My ducks and chickens are all free range, they give me beautiful eggs each day and seem happy but I just wanted to offer more.
If your chickens have access to green growing plants (while free ranging), they will probably not want to eat dried plants (the product you are asking about.)

For a treat, have you tried adding water to their usual chicken food? When you add water to pellets or crumbles, they turn into a mush that chickens seem to really love. You can use hot or cold water, depending on the season, to make either a warm treat (winter) or a cool treat (summer).

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I’m looking at giving my chickens and ducks a treat. They do get and absolutely LOVE dried mealworms as a treat but I’m looking for a wee bit more.
My ducks love green peas and kale in water, the chickens couldn’t care less. I’ve tried blue berries, strawberries and watermelon also and not one duck or chicken went for any of it!
I’m looking at this item and was wondering if anyone has tried it or has any other ideas that might be a hit with my boring gang. My ducks and chickens are all free range, they give me beautiful eggs each day and seem happy but I just wanted to offer more.
Thanks!
Honestly seems like something that might be overpriced nonsense. I wouldn't waste money on it. Buy higher quality feed or invest in a bsf farm. Maybe plant a few grape plants of you have the room for it.

I would focus on adding living variety to your pasture, rather than reaching for dried bagged mixes. In fact, I do.

and fwiw, my birds ignore roses, basil, rosemary, and a host of other plants. A few of my birds snack on oregano - I allow it to overgrow one of my raised beds, pictured here. Most ignore that too.

I've not grown any lavendar since returning to FL, but mostly, I don't see the purported benefit of that mix unless its intended to influence egg color - and there are better choices for that. Its effect as a parasitic control are likely negligible at best.
Thank you! Wow…ok I’m learning! 👍

Honestly seems like something that might be overpriced nonsense. I wouldn't waste money on it. Buy higher quality feed or invest in a bsf farm. Maybe plant a few grape plants of you have the room for
Honestly seems like something that might be overpriced nonsense. I wouldn't waste money on it. Buy higher quality feed or invest in a bsf farm. Maybe plant a few grape plants of you have the room for it.
I don’t think they are in need of anything better to eat, just something different to try for a change. BSF…bug farming? Hmmmm…not sure. I did try cut up grapes but maybe not the right type of grapes! I will educate myself on Grape plants and it could maybe be a possibility! Thank you!

I don’t think they are in need of anything better to eat, just something different to try for a change. BSF…bug farming? Hmmmm…not sure. I did try cut up grapes but maybe not the right type of grapes! I will educate myself on Grape plants and it could maybe be a possibility! Thank you!
I haver muscadine - as an occasional treat, the chickens love them. High moisture content makes them unlikely to imbalance the diet. Unfortunately grape skins are very high in tannins, so must be kept in moderation. Tannins have strong anti-nutritional properties in appetite suppression and blocking some nutrient uptake.

I have an Etsy shop where I sell poultice treats if you would like to check it out. :) It’s been d as low going, so I really appreciate any interest or feedback. I have herbal wellness blends as well. I have never tried that blend, but I sell a forage mix that is somewhat similar. My birds love it! I’ve gotten good feedback on it as well. I can post a link if you like. :)
I am always trying to educate myself and looking for new things and ways to keep my girls happy! Please yes send me the link! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom