Anyone fed their chickens this or something like this?

I am always trying to educate myself and looking for new things and ways to keep my girls happy! Please yes send me the link! Thank you!
Your welcome, I really appreciate the interest! Its been slow so I'm happy to get any feedback or interest. :) Here is a link to my Etsy shop.https://www.etsy.com/shop/MountainMistyMarket?ref=seller-platform-mcnav

I don’t think they are in need of anything better to eat, just something different to try for a change. BSF…bug farming? Hmmmm…not sure. I did try cut up grapes but maybe not the right type of grapes! I will educate myself on Grape plants and it could maybe be a possibility! Thank you!
They don't need variety. The NEED a complete balanced diet. You may have to learn the hard way to understand how important a complete balanced diet is. I would suggest you spend a week or two reading every thread in the emergency section and pay attention to what these birds are fed. You will notice how many are fed daily treats that end up there in that specific section.

Last edited:
I haver muscadine - as an occasional treat, the chickens love them. High moisture content makes them unlikely to imbalance the diet. Unfortunately grape skins are very high in tannins, so must be kept in moderation. Tannins have strong anti-nutritional properties in appetite suppression and blocking some nutrient uptake.
They don't need variety. The NEED a complete balanced diet. You may have to learn the hard way to understand how important a complete balanced diet is. I would suggest you spend a week or two reading every thread in the emergency section and pay attention to what these birds are feed. You will notice how many are fed daily treats that end up there in that specific section.
Still navigating my way thru here! But I will find the emergency section and I WILL do my homework! I appreciate your feedback, even thou it hit me harsh at first to be honest. I didn’t really think all natural food and herbs were considered actual treats that would cause issues, and I definitely wouldn’t do it on a daily. I just know, I don’t like eating the same old food each and every day, but I get it. I will read these threads when I’m not catching up on yard work, and watching the hockey play offs! ;) I truly appreciate all feedback! Thank you!!

Still navigating my way thru here! But I will find the emergency section and I WILL do my homework! I appreciate your feedback, even thou it hit me harsh at first to be honest. I didn’t really think all natural food and herbs were considered actual treats that would cause issues, and I definitely wouldn’t do it on a daily. I just know, I don’t like eating the same old food each and every day, but I get it. I will read these threads when I’m not catching up on yard work, and watching the hockey play offs! ;) I truly appreciate all feedback! Thank you!!
Everything that you offer to feed besides a pelleted or crumbled age appropriate commercially made poultry feed is a treat.
The pelleted or crumbled type feeds are formulated as a complete balanced diet.

Chickens are not humans and they do not need treats.
I don't need variety.

Also planting elephant kale is healthy for the chickens. I have one that is about 7 feet tall the chickens love the leaves. Somehow it survived 3 year through 3 snow falls. Impressive plant
I live in wicked Canada. Snow belt , so close to a few lakes where we get the blowing snow like crazy some days. I am definitely not a gardener, not sure what would really with stand the weather. I’ll buy the kale and chop it for now anyways. Lol

I just know, I don’t like eating the same old food each and every day, but I get it.

Boredom can cause behavioral issues in chickens kept in a coop or run, especially if space is tight. But that can be alleviated by improving their environment to make it richer in opportunities to engage in natural chicken behavior rather than changing their diet.

This thread is very helpful for physical enrichment: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

The idea is to give them opportunities to scratch and forage, to perch, to dustbathe and sunbathe, to hang out with their friends and get away from the others, etc.

As an example from the other day, someone posted about a device that holds some or all of a head of cabbage for the birds to peck at -- often considered a "boredom buster".

On that same day I had a deteriorated head of cabbage in my fridge. Instead of mounting it on a holder, I whacked off the brown spots, cut it in quarters, and tossed the quarters into different parts of the litter. That let them "forage" for the cabbage by scratching, ripping bits off to carry away (with others in hot pursuit), and generally interacting with it as if it had been a naturally-growing plant.

Avian Flu precautions aside, when I have garden weeds or lawn debris, I dump it in a pile and let them dig through it and spread it themselves.

Likewise with fresh bedding -- I don't spread it. I dump it in a pile and let them enjoy kicking it around. :)

Back
Top Bottom