Anyone go to Germany?

Quote:
??? What would that be? Where does this info come from? I have eaten salad in Germany with no problems. But I really don't have any tips on what to do or where to go. I was there on business.

Huh, I adore their lettuces. It's those mayo-based salads I have to watch (allergies).
Food: Pommes Frittes (fries in canola oil), any sausage (currywurst!), cheeses, pastry/coffee shops EVERY corner. Chicken tastes very different - dry processed instead of soaking in vast tubs of water, and not the cornish crosses. Sauerkraut. Pig knuckle.

Coffee: right now there is a premium blend "Crema". Get it. You will be hooked and stuff your suitcase with coffee and chocolates. Don't forget a big bag of the Milka brand double cream milk chocolate instant cappicino.

Go to the local brewery, drink and eat. Go to the winery, drink and eat. Under NO circumstances drink and drive.

There are walking and biking trails/paths everywhere. Much safer than here! So you get to walk off all the food.

Try a May (maypole?) festival.

There are castles and forts everywhere. Some are still lived in by the original family, with part as a museum. These are much better than depressing yourself over the war stuff, IMHO.

Go to the little old countryside villages and look at all the old timber and lathe buildings. Saturday is often street market day. Visit cathedrals.

Interested in alternative energy? There is solar and wind and all sorts of that sort of thing everywhere. "Bio" (bee-oh") is organic. Gluten-free, and other food allergies, is taken seriously and matter-of-fact and is easy to get something. Gluten free and other is seriously regulated in the EU. Lots of demonstration farms and exhibits. And their flower/garden shows! ahh!

Idar-Oberstein: rocks...jewels, minerals, etc. Spend a day there going through the shops, and half your luggage will be rocks. Good jewelry!

Keep your receipts on big purchases to get VAT refunded. (do they still do that?) Remember to pack cookware, wine and beer - even the duty free - in checked luggage if you're going through Atlanta.

Most everyone, esp in the military bases areas, speak some English.

Quote:
thanks for all the info here!
I am going to have my husband check this thread out... thank you everyone!

I was a Hofbauer addict when there so best I left but you like crystal keep your eyes out for small shops and factories - The first weeks I was there I ate a lot of Liver Ball Soup because it was all I could order --lol -but now with computers being so easy to carry You can translate easy --- Npw when you get back make sure you up date with Pics and tell us how much fun you had -I would love to go back ---

How cool! I have always wanted to go there. Im full blooded german. And my greatgrand parents from my fathers side live there. Never met them though.....

I am german. Born, raised and lived there for 26 years.!!! Munich and Nuermberg are great places to see. Very beautiful historic places, museums ,churches, dungeons..... Nuernberg is/was the center on german toy manufacturing and there are also lots of candy manufacturers there. A little further out there you will also find places that still make glass by hand, cand remember the name of the place though.

Quote:
??? What would that be? Where does this info come from? I have eaten salad in Germany with no problems. But I really don't have any tips on what to do or where to go. I was there on business.

maybe your immune system is strong, my grandpa said when he was in WW2 that the US generals or who ever was in charge, and they told everybody this. Do not eat the salad. they put something in it that there immune system has built up to.

Well this was after WW2 when we and three other countries were keeping Germany in control

I grew up in Germany and never had a problemw ith the salad. Now the salad over here with all the preservatives does make me sick to my stomach so I need to grow my own. Maybe it is the lack of preservatives that got people sick?

That sounds like a great trip Andrea, relax and enjoy!
smile.png

Quote:

maybe your immune system is strong, my grandpa said when he was in WW2 that the US generals or who ever was in charge, and they told everybody this. Do not eat the salad. they put something in it that there immune system has built up to.

Well this was after WW2 when we and three other countries were keeping Germany in control

Uhuh and Mcdonalds burgers are made from Kangaroo meat, a amish man told me that. Just because a Army General says it doesnt mean its true. I wish you would do some research instead of blindly believing what somebody tells you.

Back
Top Bottom