Anyone good enough to ID a chicken breed without a picture?

Fredster

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Alabama
My wife and I went up to Amish country today. People were selling eggs, and since we've been talking about bringing some new blood into the flock, we started looking for someone who had roosters in with the hens.

We found a place and I got a couple of dozen eggs for hatching (grand total, $2.50, woot!), but I need some help figuring out what kind of chickens they are. The pullets/hens were basically white, with a brown underbelly / back end. There was no apparent pattern to the brown, and it was a plain dirt brown, not reddish like on a Rhode Island Red. The Amish man told me they were Gold Campines, but the markings aren't remotely close. They weren't barred, and they were mostly white instead of gold. Further, their eggs are dark brown, and campines lay white eggs. Speaking of the eggs, they were darker than anything we get from our Orps / RIRs / Barred Rocks, but not as dark as maran eggs. I can post egg pictures if need be.

Any ideas on what kind of chicken is white and brown?

Thanks in advance!

Alrighty, here are some chick pics, now that they've hatched. Bearing in mind they're a mix between something and a Rhode Island Red, any ideas other than "mutt"?
smile.png

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

They could be Red Stars which is a Sex-Link chicken. Look at www.feathersite.com on the chickens page. Your chicks look like the Red Star chicks they have in the picture. From the description of the females they could very well be Red Stars or Red Sex-Links. They are good layers of dark brown eggs. I have a couple of Red Sex-Link hens and they lay very well.

Back
Top Bottom