Anyone had any luck with treating lice without Seven or DE?

BantyChooks

Sing Brightly
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Aug 1, 2015
Europe
My Coop
My Coop
I just discovered that my flock of 30 chickens have lice. I was going to use Sevin dust 5%, but then I researched and decided against it. I had heard of using wood ash and rubbing it on them, has anyone had any luck with this method?
If it helps, I have only seen poultry lice on them, but a few of the chickens match the list of symptoms for red mites word-for-word. Thanks.

Last edited:
Earlier this year when I checked my flock, I found 5 lice on a hen recovering from a broken leg and 2 lice on a broody hen, so I decided to treat the entire flock. I did not want to use any chemicals, if possible, and came across some threads on here recommending coconut oil. We went ahead and used this method and were very happy with it. The only caution I have is that I would not recommend using it if it is quite warm where you are. I definitely noticed that they were panting a bit afterwards as it was harder for them to cool down with the oil all over the back of their necks, under their wings, and near their vents.

I have read that if it gets in your lungs it will do to your lungs the same as it does to insects, I don't need such stuff in my life, and whether it's true or not I'm not gonna be the one to find it out. My poultry does fine without it, but this is all in my own opinion.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom