Chicken Can’t Stand Without Falling

Nov 3, 2023
I have a 1 year old Silkie Rooster named Jay. About a 2 weeks ago I noticed him acting funny. Wouldn’t leave his coop, no crowing, greenish poop, and wobbly. We took him inside and have been giving him rooster booster poultry cell thinking possible vitamin deficiency. He still has shown no real improvement.

I don’t want to treat for too many things before knowing what it might actually be. No other chickens are showing any symptoms. We have checked for mites, lice, bumble foot and see no signs.

We do believe he has scaly leg mites that we treated with Elector PSP baths on him as well as the entire flock and coops to be safe. Could scaly leg mites cause these symptoms?

We currently have him on some chick feed to give him more protein while not feeling his best. He is regularly on a layer feed because that’s what all the other chickens eat. Our backyard has no grass but is all chicken safe weeds for them to forage daily. Water is changed regularly between just water and water with unfiltered Apple cider vinegar. Occasionally water and rooster booster.

We had mice at one point a few months ago but we have gotten rid of them all and have been keeping a close eye. I did some research into issues that could arise in the flock from mice but non sounded like what he’s going through. We also have starlings that come into the yard all the time.. I try and get them to stay away but it’s hard especially when they come right back as soon as I’m in the house. I again did reach on this and again nothing sounds like what he is going through.

4 days ago I added some red pepper flakes to his feed to see if it was a worm issue and attempt to de worm him. This hasn’t worked either. He at this point is getting worse. Today he can’t even move with out falling over.. He was eating and drinking regularly but now is having a hard time because he can’t keep his balance. His poop is now sometimes green and sometimes just brown. I’ve looked into worms, mites, lice, Merck’s, calcium toxicity,… I could literally go on and on about all the research I have done but still noting sounds like what he’s going through. I’m so lost.. all I wanna do is help my boy feel better but he just seems to be getting worse.. any help would be great! Thank you for just taking the time to read this and may god bless you!
IMG_9641.jpeg
IMG_9638.jpeg

Do you have any antibiotics on hand. From the symptoms and his poop, he could be suffering from a bacterial infection. It would be worth it to try it and see if he improves.

Be aware that we are not vets here, for the most part, so we try this and that to see what works. We will not recommend something that will harm your chicken. Trying an antibiotic will cause no harm and could save his life.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand. From the symptoms and his poop, he could be suffering from a bacterial infection. It would be worth it to try it and see if he improves.

Be aware that we are not vets here, for the most part, so we try this and that to see what works. We will not recommend something that will harm your chicken. Trying an antibiotic will cause no harm and could save his life.
I have literally everything. I’m waiting for some needles to show up tomorrow. I have Liquamycin LA-200 would that work?

I’ve had more vets do more harm to my flock than others giving advice. So I greatly appreciate any information

It is hard to know exactly what is wrong, especially without a fecal float. Coccidiosis is easy enough to treat with Corid. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water for 5 days. You could try the antibiotic, but it is given by injection under the skin or into the muscle once, and if needed in 3 days.

I have literally everything. I’m waiting for some needles to show up tomorrow. I have Liquamycin LA-200 would that work?

I’ve had more vets do more harm to my flock than others giving advice. So I greatly appreciate any information
After the antibiotics, he'll need probiotics. That will help any diarrhea, digestive, or crop issues going on now or later too. There are lots of things with high levels of probiotics. What we usually do is ferment their feed every few days. Otherwise, we get sugar-free Greek yogurt for them and our dogs. I also use Hydro Hen powder for their water sometimes or if I'm really in a pinch, ACV with mother (1 TBS/gallon every other day at most.)

Red pepper flakes won't kill worms. At best, it makes the chicken's innards uncomfortable for them and some may exit. I put it in my fermented feed sometimes because somehow I wound up with a ton of red pepper flakes so need to get rid of some. I sort of believe the red pepper in their body makes their innards unliked by worms though. I'd do the other ideas first before deworming. I've never had to do it but I hear a lot of people use Safeguard.

I sure hope your rooster feels better soon! He's beautiful!

After the antibiotics, he'll need probiotics. That will help any diarrhea, digestive, or crop issues going on now or later too. There are lots of things with high levels of probiotics. What we usually do is ferment their feed every few days. Otherwise, we get sugar-free Greek yogurt for them and our dogs. I also use Hydro Hen powder for their water sometimes or if I'm really in a pinch, ACV with mother (1 TBS/gallon every other day at most.)

Red pepper flakes won't kill worms. At best, it makes the chicken's innards uncomfortable for them and some may exit. I put it in my fermented feed sometimes because somehow I wound up with a ton of red pepper flakes so need to get rid of some. I sort of believe the red pepper in their body makes their innards unliked by worms though. I'd do the other ideas first before deworming. I've never had to do it but I hear a lot of people use Safeguard.

I sure hope your rooster feels better soon! He's beautiful!
Thank you I appreciate everything! I was just using the red pepper flakes to evict any worms if any. I couldn’t get any safeguard for chickens. I could only find the one for turkeys but I read that you shouldn’t give that one to chickens. I did find a homeovet brand just incase. I have probiotics so I will make sure to give him some after his antibiotics 😃

Thank you everyone for your help. We greatly appreciated it. Unfortunately on Monday night we lost our little boy… After much research, I believe it was Heavy Metal Poisoning. I took him to get a necropsy done yesterday. As soon as I hear results, I will update.

Back
Top Bottom