Anyone hatching Serama eggs?

Seramas can be tough to hatch. I'm certainly no expert, but I have hatched a few. IME, they usually hatch on day 18-19 of incubation. I have "peeled" a few, for some reason, an unusual percentage of mine have wound up coming out of the wrong end of their eggs. Sometimes I have had very good results (with my very first "home grown" Serama eggs, all 7 made it to "lock down," and 6 hatched) at other times, not so good. Broodies generally do much better than I do with the Serama eggs. I suspect that some of my failures may have drowned in the egg; I wonder if the tiny egg size may play a role, too. I currently have a small hen that lays surprisingly large eggs; I'm going to watch to see if her larger eggs have a higher success rate.

The lethal gene in Seramas comes from the Japanese Bantam that is part of the Serama's ancestry. The short leg gene is desirable in Japanese, but the Serama breeders are trying to breed it OUT of the Serama. If both of the parent birds had undesirably short legs, it could factor into the low hatch rate, but otherwise, it shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know about the lifespan; most of the Serama deaths that my flock have suffered came from a predator or disease. I can say that 2 of the first birds that I bought are at least 3 years old now, and still very lively.
hu.gif

Thankyou for that info..!
I did hear that the larger eggs get more hatches......
It was the larger eggs that hatched with mine...and the smaller ones never hatched...
they all died in the egg...
I might use a broody silkie ..... I will probably get better results...!!

My Serrama eggs are in lock down. I turned off the turner. Should I raise the humidity? I know they take longer to hatch, but how many days should I give them? I am hatching in a Brinses, should I cover the water thing in the middle? Sorry for all the questions, I just want my babies to hatch. Thanks on advance for the help.

I wish I could be of more help......
I turned the humidity up to 55 on 18th day.... then 60 on 19th day.....and then 21st day I turned it to 65...
3 out of 14 hatched......
The other's that didn't hatch.....I noticed didn't even pip to get to air sac.....
Hopefully someone here can help...!

Subbing to this thread! I am obsessed with getting a few Serama's ever since I discovered they existed! I found a local lady that breeds them but will only sell pullets. I want babies! Seems the only way to do this is get my own eggs.
We have an incubator that is a hand me down and honestly don't know if it works. But I have two hens that have gone broody. I have no Roos and a not allowed Roos. So I would have to rehome any that are roos.

So I have heard of people giving eggs to broody hens to hatch is that the best way to do it? Or is it better to use an incubator?

I would put them under your broody hens. I have Silkie hens that stay broody all the time. I just stick my eggs under one of the hens and they do all the work. One thing to make sure of is to separate the hens from your flock if you can. My chickens tend to mess with the mama hens. Too bad your not close to me I have Seramas that just hatched this morning
1f604.png

Interesting. If they are broody they do stop at some point but they just stay broody if you give them eggs? What if they decide to stop? Does that happen? Just thinking if I plan to get eggs what if they are done being broody when the eggs get here?

My daughter bought a pair of seramas from the auction about a year ago. We ended up with 6. 2 cocks and 4 hens. The a racoon found its way into the henhouse and killed everyone of them. What a sad day. We both loved those birds. We fortified the coop and run. Its like Fort Knox now. We are waiting for 18 eggs from a person here on BYC. This person is swamped with orders. We will be hatching some soon for my daughters birthday. I hope these eggs make it in good shape.

Last edited:
Im trying a second time to hatch seramas. I thought I did everything right but the 2 that made it to lockdown didn't hatch :*(
Im looking for tips / tricks that can help me have a successful hatch. What's the best temp / humidity to have them at?

Back
Top Bottom