Anyone Have 5 Week Old Chicks Roosting With Adults? *Pictures*

feathermaid

Egg Obsessed
5 Years
Feb 5, 2018
Northwest Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
I brooded my 3 chicks indoors for a couple weeks, then moved them out to the big coop with Mama Heating Pad. The space under the roosts made a perfect brooder.

IMG_0558.JPG

At 4 weeks old I changed out the barrier so they could come and go as they pleased to mingle with my other hens (only 2). At night they never went back to their brooder area... they were on the big girl roost! I thought they might get cold so I moved them back to the brooder.

The next evening, same thing happened but I let them stay. I checked on them lots during the night and they seemed fine. So that's how it's been ever since.
20180618_212550.jpg

They don't want to be on the lower roost.
Why do the older hens let them stay?
Is this normal?

Be happy. I can't even get 4 month olds to like 2 .5 month olds. They have been within sight for a couple weeks and the bigger ones still antagonize them. They got about two more weeks before they outgrow Thd carrier there in, so it will have to work.

Be happy. I can't even get 4 month olds to like 2 .5 month olds. They have been within sight for a couple weeks and the bigger ones still antagonize them. They got about two more weeks before they outgrow Thd carrier there in, so it will have to work.
Yeah, I expected there to be a lot more scuffling happening at this stage.
Guess I'm just lucky!:celebrate

I don't even know how I'm going to do this, short of sitting out there non stop with a hose. I have a few days off in two weeks, I'm working on it then. 3 of the smaller ones are brahmas so they are a decent size, the 4th one is I believe a golden lace and she isn't no where near as big as the brahmas. I worry about her. A couple weeks ago the boy who is also 4 months pinned one of the smaller ones. How do I teach a cockerel to be a good rooster?

I don't even know how I'm going to do this, short of sitting out there non stop with a hose. I have a few days off in two weeks, I'm working on it then. 3 of the smaller ones are brahmas so they are a decent size, the 4th one is I believe a golden lace and she isn't no where near as big as the brahmas. I worry about her. A couple weeks ago the boy who is also 4 months pinned one of the smaller ones. How do I teach a cockerel to be a good rooster?
I don't think you can "teach" a cockerel. I hear they can be pretty pushy and somewhat aggressive what with all their hormones racing. They get better after a year or two, but some never do. I've also heard some people will separate the boys from the girls to keep everything peaceful.

As far as your mixed age pullets, offer lots of hiding spots (like boards leaned against a wall and extra roosts in the run) anything to break line of sight for the chasers. And multiple feed/water stations. That's what I did and it seems to have worked.

I don't think you can "teach" a cockerel. I hear they can be pretty pushy and somewhat aggressive what with all their hormones racing. They get better after a year or two, but some never do. I've also heard some people will separate the boys from the girls to keep everything peaceful.

As far as your mixed age pullets, offer lots of hiding spots (like boards leaned against a wall and extra roosts in the run) anything to break line of sight for the chasers. And multiple feed/water stations. That's what I did and it seems to have worked.

I originally bought 4 girls, 2 turned out to be boys. I have removed one, he is presently in the house in a crate until I can build him his own space. The one I left out there is much better with the girls. He hasn't pulled a feather off them yet. That's why I was surprised at what happened with the younger one. The areas where they could hide, I would consider dangerous and I have blocked them. The smallest of the bunch is fast and can go high, but so can the two older girls. What a mess. I just want peace.

They don't want to be on the lower roost.
Why do the older hens let them stay?
Is this normal?

Very cute and very lucky! Your little ones were ready to start roosting for bed and your hens were tolerant enough to let them. Chickens naturally want to roost up high when possible so that's why they went for the top bar.

Here's mine, 5 1/2 weeks old, very similar with the chicks on the far right side!

brood7.jpg

I originally bought 4 girls, 2 turned out to be boys. I have removed one, he is presently in the house in a crate until I can build him his own space. The one I left out there is much better with the girls. He hasn't pulled a feather off them yet. That's why I was surprised at what happened with the younger one. The areas where they could hide, I would consider dangerous and I have blocked them. The smallest of the bunch is fast and can go high, but so can the two older girls. What a mess. I just want peace.
That’s bum luck that half turned out to be boys! What will you do with them… keep, rehome or butcher for meat? I’m terrified to end up with a cockerel here in the suburbs. I don’t know… I’d still separate that guy if he continues… at least until his rudeness wears off.
:idunno
Good luck with your growing flock!

Very cute and very lucky! Your little ones were ready to start roosting for bed and your hens were tolerant enough to let them. Chickens naturally want to roost up high when possible so that's why they went for the top bar.

Here's mine, 5 1/2 weeks old, very similar with the chicks on the far right side!

View attachment 1460612
:loveAwww!! So cute how they huddle close together like that... maybe to keep warm until they finish growing feathers? I love your picture!! Thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom