Anyone have a double yolker hen?

goldysgirl

Crowing
9 Years
May 1, 2010
One of my silkies from tractor supply lays huge double yolkers a couple of times a week. It was supposed to be bantam but is large fowl. The eggs are brown. I never have had a hen lay that many double yolkers before. Has anyone else? I hope she doesn't end up with a prolapse or egg binding. They are young and have been laying for about 2 months now.

Usually young chickens when they first start laying, do encounter double yolk action. Most will get into the laying groove,,,,, and start making singles. I , in my over 20 years of chicken keeping, have never had a double. (only keep small flock, and as pets)
There is not much preventive you can do to prevent prolapse, or egg binding.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

We use to buy a particular egg brand from the supermarket, and every single egg in the cartons were double yolkers. They sold them as jumbo eggs. I've always wondered if they purposely bred them for double yolkers or just had so many chickens that all the double yolks they picked out could make up cartons . Hopefully it is just a yound bird thing and nothing to worry about

Similar story. When we lived in NJ, we would go to a Egg Farm. The operation was clean and the birds were not caged. They used nest boxes that the eggs would roll away and on to a conveyor to be cleaned and sorted. You could get Brown or White and any size from small to jumbo. We bought a 30 dozen case of Jumbo Brown, Double Yolks. These were huge! The flavor was better than Store Bought but not that of home grown...JJ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom