Anyone have a double yolker hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goldysgirl, Aug 19, 2019.

1. goldysgirl

goldysgirl Songster

May 1, 2010
    One of my silkies from tractor supply lays huge double yolkers a couple of times a week. It was supposed to be bantam but is large fowl. The eggs are brown. I never have had a hen lay that many double yolkers before. Has anyone else? I hope she doesn't end up with a prolapse or egg binding. They are young and have been laying for about 2 months now.

chrissynemetz and cavemanrich like this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Usually young chickens when they first start laying, do encounter double yolk action. Most will get into the laying groove,,,,, and start making singles. I , in my over 20 years of chicken keeping, have never had a double. (only keep small flock, and as pets)
    There is not much preventive you can do to prevent prolapse, or egg binding.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

goldysgirl and chrissynemetz like this.
  3. Muscovy Wunda

Muscovy Wunda Songster

We use to buy a particular egg brand from the supermarket, and every single egg in the cartons were double yolkers. They sold them as jumbo eggs. I've always wondered if they purposely bred them for double yolkers or just had so many chickens that all the double yolks they picked out could make up cartons . Hopefully it is just a yound bird thing and nothing to worry about

4. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    Probably an old wives tale, but story has been told that if you feed your chickens raw potatoes, you'll get double yolks.

goldysgirl and Chef JimmyJ like this.
  5. Chef JimmyJ

Chef JimmyJ Songster

Similar story. When we lived in NJ, we would go to a Egg Farm. The operation was clean and the birds were not caged. They used nest boxes that the eggs would roll away and on to a conveyor to be cleaned and sorted. You could get Brown or White and any size from small to jumbo. We bought a 30 dozen case of Jumbo Brown, Double Yolks. These were huge! The flavor was better than Store Bought but not that of home grown...JJ

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Muscovy Wunda and goldysgirl like this.
  6. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Crossing the Road

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I've had a few pullets lay double yolk eggs when they first began laying. They've always started laying normal eggs within a couple of months. I have a young EE right now who gives double yolkers about every other egg. My grandson refers to them as twins :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: