Anyone have a hen or eggs set for October? Join us!

OK lockdown today for mine. due on Sat. This is my first incubator hatch and since I"m not experienced at candling I've kept them all since I couldn't be certain in a lot of them exactly what I was looking at. But none of them smell, so figure we're good. So fun to see all your fluffy butts, can't wait for mine! I can see how this could become very addicting!

ok, so my quail eggs are in lockdown since yesterday, need help..

I have a good size water bowl with a sponge in it. my readingt is currently reading 55%, but my viewing window is soaked, I can barely see through it.. can anyone tell me if the window could be that wet if it was only 55% in there ??

anyways... so the problem is, when I got home today, if it was still at 55%.. , I was going to add an extra water container to it to try to raise it a bit higher before the hatch tomorrow, but I see 2 eggs are pipped!

nothing to do now right?? just sit and wait and hope for the best?

i read that if I lower my temp a bit, the humidity would go up? is this true?

thanks for anyones input..

ok, so my quail eggs are in lockdown since yesterday, need help..

I have a good size water bowl with a sponge in it. my readingt is currently reading 55%, but my viewing window is soaked, I can barely see through it.. can anyone tell me if the window could be that wet if it was only 55% in there ??

anyways... so the problem is, when I got home today, if it was still at 55%.. , I was going to add an extra water container to it to try to raise it a bit higher before the hatch tomorrow, but I see 2 eggs are pipped!

nothing to do now right?? just sit and wait and hope for the best?

i read that if I lower my temp a bit, the humidity would go up? is this true?

thanks for anyones input..

the ONLY time i've had a viewing window get wet was above 80% run to the hardware store and get a thermometer/hydrometer

OK lockdown today for mine. due on Sat. This is my first incubator hatch and since I"m not experienced at candling I've kept them all since I couldn't be certain in a lot of them exactly what I was looking at. But none of them smell, so figure we're good. So fun to see all your fluffy butts, can't wait for mine! I can see how this could become very addicting!

I learned about candling by doing it and seeing how each formed then candling eggs that didn't hatch, opening them up (outside) and seeing what was inside. Use it as a learning experience. :)
It took me 4 years to get confident in my abilities to candle an egg and know if there is a chick or not, and still there are some that confuse me so i leave them in the incubator.
And yes it is addictive. I have 5 on lockdown and just started another batch yesterday.

Going into lock down tomorrow!!!
celebrate.gif
I'm really nervous though, I don't have a hydrometer in my incubator (never knew it was needed.) so we really hatch hatch with hydration at a whim. Here's whats worrying me though, I fill the water container whenever it goes low, so I checked it last night (like I always do) and there was no water!! And I don't know how long its been like that. I'm really, REALLY worried because it day 18! Could that harm them?? I candled and I see no movement but the air pocket is normal size but the chick seems to be just a little under developed. Maybe not, sometimes I can't get a good candle with these little d'Uccle eggs!

Going into lock down tomorrow!!!
celebrate.gif
I'm really nervous though, I don't have a hydrometer in my incubator (never knew it was needed.) so we really hatch hatch with hydration at a whim. Here's whats worrying me though, I fill the water container whenever it goes low, so I checked it last night (like I always do) and there was no water!! And I don't know how long its been like that. I'm really, REALLY worried because it day 18! Could that harm them?? I candled and I see no movement but the air pocket is normal size but the chick seems to be just a little under developed. Maybe not, sometimes I can't get a good candle with these little d'Uccle eggs!

I go dry majority of the time til day 18. It depends on the humidity in the air as well. There are times that I have to turn on a dehymidifier in my house to get the humidity down to what it should be.
You can get a hydrometer at any ace hardware store, sometimes even dollar tree has them. Also until last year i never used a hydrometer. Always had great hatches. so you should be fine.

woke up this morning and I have 3 chicks and another pipped
yesss.gif

my hygrometer is still only reading at 55% -56%. can't really do much about it now except wait, but so far so good. they seem to be zipping the eggs pretty good too...

this will be an interesting 24 hrs... pics to follow later..

On day 20 here on 7 olive eggs from my best hen. No pips yet, and my first attempt at incubation was a horrible failure, but I feel like I've learned and everything is right this time, so there's no reason for me to be nervous, but I am...I really hope they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom