1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anyone have a super smart chicken story?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by citychickx6, Jun 30, 2011.

1. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    My little chickens only 8 weeks old or so, have been in their coop for 3 weeks today. Each morning I open the door for them, each night I go to close it. To my surprise it has been closed every night for the last week. They go in and out all day and do not knock it closed. No human is going in there except me. The door is not latched but is swung closed. I have it blocked open with a 1x2 by the hinges and it is knocked out of the way every night. They stand on the roost and look at me like "what it is bed time so we closed it".

I really need to put the video camera out there.

2. jinxschuh

jinxschuh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Northern Utah
    To cool!!! That would be really fun to see how they are doing it with a chicken cam to capture the smarty pants in video

3. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    You seriously should! It will blow all preconceptions about chicken intelligence out of the water if they are shutting the door.

4. [​IMG] [​IMG] oh yippy!!!!! you have smart girls!!!!! def. need a chicken cam.

That or you have a smart cat curled up in the corner that is cold. [​IMG]

5. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    My super smart chickens are constantly getting me to build coops, buy feed, treats, flockblocks....

6. citychickx6

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Quote:HMMMMM I wonder ..... Where is that can anyway?

7. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    My RSL jumps up onto my forearm on command. No treats are involved. Is that smart? She will jump on my back if I am bending over too. If I tell her "no" she will stand there with the"but I wanna" look.[​IMG]

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Wow! Those are some smart chickens you've got there! You definitaly need to set up a camera in there!

The other day my chickens were free ranging and I took a piece of a corn cob away from my dog. I placed the corn cob on the table on my patio and went out to finish painting the chickens coop. A little while later, I was walking to the house to get something for the coop when I look over at my patio and see my production red pullet standing on the table eating the corn cob! As soon as I saw her, I walked over to her and she hopped off the table onto a chair and then on the ground. As if to say, "I didn't do it mom! I didn't do it!" Haha!

9. patricium

patricium Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Western New York
    One of my hens had to spend a day or two inside the house when she was sick. We set up a dog crate in the kitchen for her to hang out in, and she decided she liked it to lay eggs in too. When she recovered, we put her back outside with the rest of the flock. The next morning around egg-laying time, she was pacing around trying to get to the house side door. Then she went over to the front door and was trying to get it that one. I finally guessed she might want the crate, so I took it out for her. She immediately walked into it and settled down to lay her egg. So she remembered the crate and where it was, and she knew that both house doors go to the same place.

And my rooster recognizes the sound of our car (as opposed to other vehicles), and jumps up on the partition to get a sunflower seed treat when we come home. He can't see the driveway from their winter quarters, so it's not that he sees us coming.

I'm so proud. [​IMG]

10. citychickx6

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Yes I say absolutely we have some smart chickens round these parts.
    All our chickens seem to have figured out how to train US.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by