Anyone have an issue with small sized eggs from McMurray?

Mahlzeit

Songster
12 Years
Jul 16, 2007
Long Island NY
I ordered rhode island reds, white leghorns and Americauna's from McMurray for the last 2 years and have been pretty unimpressed with the size of the eggs they lay. Has anyone else had issues with egg size?

Are you talking about pullet eggs......or eggs from older hens?
How big are they.... in grams or ounces?

What and how exactly are you feeding?

I'm talking about adults that lay eggs not much bigger than pullet eggs. Especially the easter eggers. I don't weigh them so I don't know how many grams or ounces but they are noticeably smaller than eggs I have gotten from the same breeds in the past. They are on a layer pellet ration.

I've had birds from MMc, and have found that egg size has been very good in the EE. My RCBL from them laid eggs that were not extra large, but acceptable in size. Dom eggs from MMc not large, but doms not a large bird. Hope to try Dom stock from an other hatchery this year. Try switching them to a higher protein feed, and see if egg size picks up. Exactly how old are they? Eggs typically get larger with each breeding season.

They will be 2 years old in March. They have been on a higher protein feed since October but hasn't changed anything with the eggs.

They will be 2 years old in March. They have been on a higher protein feed since October but hasn't changed anything with the eggs.
They didn't molt this fall?

I was thinking about this thread while 'grading' eggs, most of my birds are EE and Welsummer/EE cross.
Some are smaller than other, both pullets and older birds, I imagine it might depend on the original hatchery cross as to egg size. But I don't buy from MMc, all my purchased birds come form Townline.
Not all birds lay Large or XLarge eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom