Anyone have chicks due around Nov. 5th?

Mama Hen's babies have started to hatch!
wee.gif
Unfortunately, fire ants invaded her nest and killed the first chick. :( She's now in a new, safe nest in the shop, away from ants. I had to pull her out of the nest and successfully avoided getting bitten, though she tried hard! The whole time she was looking for a chance to bite me and squawking her displeasure. I put her down in front of her nest, she walked away from it. I was really afraid she would reject them, but she apparently just needed to relieve herself because she let out a couple good sized poops and went straight back to her nest. I'll put her back outside when her babies are fully fluffed. Now I just have to make sure the other Mama Hen gets put inside before her babies start hatching!

Thank you both i'll say a prayer for yours as well. I have 3 chicks so far. The one in the small EE egg didnt make it.She was doa when i went to help.The other that pipped wrong end is still alive but when i went to help there was blood so i only moved the shell at his beak.To scared to do anything else.3 eggs that have done nothing yet.
So sorry to hear about your loss. :( I'm glad the other is still alive! I've always been afraid to help, but I've done it anyways. Only twice, out of who knows how many times, has the chick survived. I always say "I won't help this time." But I end up doing it anyways. Usually there's a good reason that chick is having a hard time, like in my experience, he has intestines hanging out his vent, he is severely underdeveloped, he is severely deformed to the point he can't even hold his own head up, etc. Twice I've helped a chick and they only had mild twisted feet keeping them from hatching, and I was able to tape them and they were fine. The ducklings went well. I helped out 8 (I think) maybe 9 and only one was deformed. He was very, very, deformed. To the point he had to be culled before he ever got all the way out of the egg. Anyways, you know what they say about rabbit trails.
roll.png
Excuse my babbling self.
duc.gif
Keep me posted!
Oh good! November hatching buddies!!
ya.gif

I bought eggs on e-bay because the eggs my third broody (Ember, a Silkie as well as my other broodys ((Silkies are crazy!)) ) was sitting on were not fertile, so she sat on them for the whole 21 days, and no chicks hatched. Then I bought more eggs, off of BYC this time, and she sat on them for, about, 13 days (give or take a few) and then just, quit.
sad.png
Those are the eggs I have in the incubator.
I look forward to the pics!
thumbsup.gif
Poor gal. I don't know if I would have that much patience either! Thank God for incubators, though! So excited to hear how your hatch goes! Or rather, hatches go. ;)
I started mine on Oct 16 and we got our first chick poking out an hour ago. It only took 18 days. I'm sure we will have a chick out by tomorrow morning. So excited.
Wow! Only 18 days? My goodness, what eager little guys! What kind of eggs are they? Keep us posted!
wee.gif

#1 Broody Mama, who's babies are hatching as I type!

#2 Broody Mama. Definitely not the prettiest hen I have... but she lays beautiful eggs and hopefully makes beautiful babies!

I can hear little peeps coming from her nesting box! I can't see any chicks, but it sounds like at least one has hatched.
love.gif

I can hear little peeps coming from her nesting box! I can't see any chicks, but it sounds like at least one has hatched.
love.gif
YAY!! So happy for you and her!
highfive.gif

Mama Hen's babies have started to hatch!
wee.gif
Unfortunately, fire ants invaded her nest and killed the first chick. :( She's now in a new, safe nest in the shop, away from ants. I had to pull her out of the nest and successfully avoided getting bitten, though she tried hard! The whole time she was looking for a chance to bite me and squawking her displeasure. I put her down in front of her nest, she walked away from it. I was really afraid she would reject them, but she apparently just needed to relieve herself because she let out a couple good sized poops and went straight back to her nest. I'll put her back outside when her babies are fully fluffed. Now I just have to make sure the other Mama Hen gets put inside before her babies start hatching!
Whoa. Fire ants do that?!
ep.gif
We have fire ants here but, they only come out in the summer. But I will still be on the lookout.
"Listened" to both mommys eggs today, and heard movement!
ya.gif
But, no pips or cheeping, so I'm guessing they will hatch tomorrow or the next day. Going outside now to take pictures of my mama "Dinos".
tongue2.gif

YAY!! So happy for you and her!
highfive.gif

Whoa. Fire ants do that?!
ep.gif
We have fire ants here but, they only come out in the summer. But I will still be on the lookout.
"Listened" to both mommys eggs today, and heard movement!
ya.gif
But, no pips or cheeping, so I'm guessing they will hatch tomorrow or the next day. Going outside now to take pictures of my mama "Dinos".
tongue2.gif
Can't wait for pics! I'm about to go check on mine again.
Yes, fire ants definitely do that. The poor little guy was very gruesome looking. :( It never gets cold enough to kill off fire ants around here, so it's something we have to worry about year round. I had to take my duck's eggs and finish them in the incubator because ants started invading her nest. Thankfully she accepted them right back when it was safe to give them to her. I guess I'm gonna have to come up with a plan of action for broodies close to hatch time, because this is always a problem.

There's a pip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yesss.gif
wee.gif

Minnie (my oldest broody, who has been broody three times now. I think she likes it
lol.png
) has an egg that is pipping!
ya.gif
I think it will be out my morning!
celebrate.gif

Can't wait to see its little face!!
love.gif

Forgot to add: My computer isn't letting me upload pics right now.
barnie.gif
But I'll have some in the morning hopefully with a chick (or two) too
wink.png
!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom