Anyone have experience with ringworm ans chickens?

Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
Hey ya'll!
I know this is probably going to sound stupid but I do not know what ringworm looks like on a chicken comb. I know its white but I feel like all my chickens have white in/on their combs. I have attachdd two pictures. One, my blue star, looks like she has something going on with her comb. My "Pearl" chicken, her comb looks normal to me. Can you help me out and tell me what you think? Or your experience?

Than ks!

Attachments

• 20230331_215126.jpg
    20230331_215126.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230330_202615.jpg
    20230330_202615.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 9
Favus is more of a powdery fungal infection. Below is an advanced case.

What I see in your photos looks more like dry comb and some scabbing. If you wish, you can work some anti-fungal cream or coconut oil into the tissue of the combs for a few weeks to see if it helps, it won't hurt to do that.

View attachment 3451130
Thank you so much. It is not powdery and is more like dry comb. I did start treatment just in case it was. I think I will use coconut oil on my girl who looks a little crusty and see if it helps. Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate you.

I have the same thing happening with my flock. The white powdery look started, then after a bit the tips of rose combs started darkening. It looked like they were dirty. Some had little dots. Then it hit my Silchin rooster hard so we went to the vet. It's an internal yeast infection. For me, I failed to supplement probiotics during preventative treatment. Basically learned when treating with Amprolium or Acidified Copper Sulfate, you need to provide probiotics.

Once it's reached the blackening stage, you'll need to treat the entire flock with oral meds. Nystatin oral is the preferred treatment, but with the new law kicking in next month, it's only available from a vet, or online, which is now requiring a prescription. You can try OTC creams for vaginal yeast infections.

Nystatin is about $30. But...you still need a vet. Mine is $45-$60 for a visit.

Back
Top Bottom