Ringworm? Or crusty comb?

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
My pullet, Ginger, has had a crusty comb for almost as long as she's had a comb. I never thought much of it until I started reading about ringworm in my "Chicken Health Handbook". Would someone mind taking a look? My other sex-link looks similar, whereas my Australorps have clean combs. No idea if this is just normal for her or her breed.

Thank you!

IMG_5117.jpeg

Has she been laying eggs recently? Combs sometimes get dry and flaky when a hen is no longer laying, or may be molting. Coconut oil applied to the comb might be helpful, but if you feel it is fungal, either Monistat/miconazole cream may be used, or clotrimazole cream daily applied with glove.

Has she been laying eggs recently? Combs sometimes get dry and flaky when a hen is no longer laying, or may be molting. Coconut oil applied to the comb might be helpful, but if you feel it is fungal, either Monistat/miconazole cream may be used, or clotrimazole cream daily applied with glove.
20 weeks old, no eggs yet. She did just go through her last juvenile molt, not sure if that counts. I'm guessing the clotrimazole can't hurt, and it's fairly moisturizing on its own. Good idea!

Back
Top Bottom