Anyone have experience with Urban Chicken Coop Company?

This is an older post but it caught my eye bc I have the Round Top Coop from the Urban Coop Co & really like it. It was a little pricey but I loved the look, liked that it was made in the USA, great customer service & I find it pretty functional. There are a few things i might change but all-in-all really like the coop. I live in the North East & was concerned with the cold winter but my 6 hens survived without a problem & we had some really cold days/nights. It is also really easy for my 5 & 3 year old to go out and collect eggs. I also like the self watering feature. I would rec this coop :) happy coop hunting!

I was curious what were the few things you might of changed?

With the winter so harsh and now that spring has arrived I went to go clean out the coop because of the winter build-up of chicken poop on the bottom of the coop and found it challenging to shovel out from the front hatch (removable door). I got a majority of it clean but this weekend I will take off the top half of the coop to really shovel it out well and get the back half. The other aspect that I find hard is finding a good spot for my chicken feeder. I have a traditional galvanized feeder with an open top - but if I placed it under where they roost, I get poop and if I place it under their nesting box, I get hay. The ideal spot to place the feed is at the far end of the coop but there is no way to access it. I just e-mailed them today re: the self-feeder option that attaches to the end of the self-watering station. I think this will be my best option for easy feeding and keeping the food clear of hay and poop. If the coop had a hinged door on the top (where the water station goes) it would make it easy for cleaning and using your own feeder. Besides those two drawbacks - I still love my coop and they are very helpful with answering any and all questions you might have. Hope this helps.

Just got ours put together. I think it's perfect, heavy duty, and easy to assemble.

For those of you who have one in use, how many hens would you say this will work for assuming its night time use only (open access during the day while free ranging in roughy 3000 sq ft of yard.) How many can comfortably roost assuming Easter Eggers or Red sex links?

This is an older post but it caught my eye bc I have the Round Top Coop from the Urban Coop Co & really like it. It was a little pricey but I loved the look, liked that it was made in the USA, great customer service & I find it pretty functional. There are a few things i might change but all-in-all really like the coop. I live in the North East & was concerned with the cold winter but my 6 hens survived without a problem & we had some really cold days/nights. It is also really easy for my 5 & 3 year old to go out and collect eggs. I also like the self watering feature. I would rec this coop
smile.png
happy coop hunting!
What part of the North East are you from? Because we're in southern NE and it was an extremely cold and long winter here. I was nervous about the extreme changing weather as well. Did you cover up any of the holes with a tarp or use heat lamps? I don't want to get something I will need to use a lamp with because that can get very costly and once you turn it on you don't want to mess with the temp to much and risk making the chickens sick. IDK, I wish I was good with building because I would tackle that project in a heartbeat, but I'm terrible at measuring and lining stuff up...I had no idea coop shopping would be so difficult!

I am from central Connecticut and this winter was really cold and snowy. I got nervous a few nights because it went down to almost -15 with wind chill this year. I expected to go out and find my chickens frozen but they were totally fine. I did put an old door mat over the exposed back part to prevent snow from building up in the coop. I was told not to install a heater for them because if you ever lost electricity they would end up freezing because they wouldn't have their winter feathers to keep them warm. I would also highly recommend the self feeder and waterer that Urban Coop offers. Def worth the extra money -- makes watering/feeding super easy. My coop is last season's model so it doesn't accommodate the feeder but I wish it did!! =) I also have 6 girls in the coop - I originally had 4 but figured with 6 they would stay warmer over the winter months with more body heat. I free range them a little each day b/c with 6 it does seem a little tight. Plenty of room for them to roost though. It also assembled in about 2 hours with the help of my husband. Dyan - one of the owners/designers is super helpful with any questions you might have. I also liked the fact that it is made in the USA. Hope this helps.

That helps a ton because I too am from southern CT and this winter was brutal! did you put bedding down on the wire mesh? what about in the nesting boxes? Did you shovel them out at all? Did you buy the water heater? if so what brand? I'm not sure what you meant by putting an old door mat over the back part? the door? I was thinking of either covering that with a tarp or some how blocking it off. did you cover the small round holes up top? I like how its higher off the ground because we did get a ton of snow and this way they won't be buried in it. I too would not heat them in the winter, but was just very nervous about the open floor. Hoping for a mild winter this year! Thanks a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom