Anyone have experience with Urban Chicken Coop Company?

kbh913

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 15, 2013
Hello,
Looking at the Urban Chicken Coop Company Round Top Coop and wondering if anyone has any experience with it? Especially in cold winter months like New England? Wire floor???
Thanks!!!i

This is an older post but it caught my eye bc I have the Round Top Coop from the Urban Coop Co & really like it. It was a little pricey but I loved the look, liked that it was made in the USA, great customer service & I find it pretty functional. There are a few things i might change but all-in-all really like the coop. I live in the North East & was concerned with the cold winter but my 6 hens survived without a problem & we had some really cold days/nights. It is also really easy for my 5 & 3 year old to go out and collect eggs. I also like the self watering feature. I would rec this coop :) happy coop hunting!

I just purchased this coop as well and I should have it April 4th.The quality just looks and sounds so much better. Everything
I've looked at just looks like it will fall apart, specially after the Chicago winter we have just had and are still having. Can't wait
for Spring to really start.

Just got ours put together. I think it's perfect, heavy duty, and easy to assemble.

Ya I would say the self feeder and waterer is a must. With the open roost area wire floor most of the poop fall through to the run below. This would cause poop to fall into food and water. Chickens have been out since early April and so far very happy with the coop.

I received the Round Top Coop from the Urban Coop Company this last month. The coop is beautiful and functional! The round top coop is the perfect fit for my urban backyard and 4 hens. The Urban Coop Company has excellent customer service. The assembly of the coop was super easy with a cordless drill. Loved their youtube tutorials with assembly instructions for the coop. The final product of the round top coop is super solid and exceeded my expectations. Did I mention is looks GREAT! Thanks Urban Coop Company!!!

I am from central Connecticut and this winter was really cold and snowy. I got nervous a few nights because it went down to almost -15 with wind chill this year. I expected to go out and find my chickens frozen but they were totally fine. I did put an old door mat over the exposed back part to prevent snow from building up in the coop. I was told not to install a heater for them because if you ever lost electricity they would end up freezing because they wouldn't have their winter feathers to keep them warm. I would also highly recommend the self feeder and waterer that Urban Coop offers. Def worth the extra money -- makes watering/feeding super easy. My coop is last season's model so it doesn't accommodate the feeder but I wish it did!! =) I also have 6 girls in the coop - I originally had 4 but figured with 6 they would stay warmer over the winter months with more body heat. I free range them a little each day b/c with 6 it does seem a little tight. Plenty of room for them to roost though. It also assembled in about 2 hours with the help of my husband. Dyan - one of the owners/designers is super helpful with any questions you might have. I also liked the fact that it is made in the USA. Hope this helps.

I put hay in the nesting box but that was all. As for cleaning out the coop…everything was frozen solid this winter so as soon as spring arrived I lifted the coop up with my husband and cleaned it all out which was a total stinky huge mess. The girls loved me for it though! I put down some lime, sand and pine shavings - all which helped with odor control. I will probably try and clean it this winter if the weather is more mild. As for the door mat - the back section that has wire mesh on the top is open for air flow (where the feeder/waterer go). I simply placed a door mat on the top so snow couldn't enter the bottom of the coop. The front door did get stuck because of all the ice but there is a side door up near where they roost that I was able to access to feed them so it wasn't a huge deal. The water heater I just bought off of Amazon. Not sure the brand -- what ever Urban suggested for ampage. I wouldn't suggest a tarp etc because when Dyan (the designer/owner) made the coop it was all about airflow and moisture control. From what I gather it is the moisture in the air in the winter that can kill the chickens -- so I wouldn't mess around with the ventilation that she has designed. I would call and talk with her - she's a great resource and can answer all questions you might have about the design. I know her Mother lives up in Wisconsin I think and she never has had any issues in the winter.

Typical gorgeous romantic prefab chicken coop....looks great, but highly impractical.
It's way tiny....too small IMO....keep researching before buying or building.

Back
Top Bottom