Anyone have experience with Urban Chicken Coop Company?

This is an older post but it caught my eye bc I have the Round Top Coop from the Urban Coop Co & really like it. It was a little pricey but I loved the look, liked that it was made in the USA, great customer service & I find it pretty functional. There are a few things i might change but all-in-all really like the coop. I live in the North East & was concerned with the cold winter but my 6 hens survived without a problem & we had some really cold days/nights. It is also really easy for my 5 & 3 year old to go out and collect eggs. I also like the self watering feature. I would rec this coop :) happy coop hunting!

I was curious what were the few things you might of changed?

With the winter so harsh and now that spring has arrived I went to go clean out the coop because of the winter build-up of chicken poop on the bottom of the coop and found it challenging to shovel out from the front hatch (removable door). I got a majority of it clean but this weekend I will take off the top half of the coop to really shovel it out well and get the back half. The other aspect that I find hard is finding a good spot for my chicken feeder. I have a traditional galvanized feeder with an open top - but if I placed it under where they roost, I get poop and if I place it under their nesting box, I get hay. The ideal spot to place the feed is at the far end of the coop but there is no way to access it. I just e-mailed them today re: the self-feeder option that attaches to the end of the self-watering station. I think this will be my best option for easy feeding and keeping the food clear of hay and poop. If the coop had a hinged door on the top (where the water station goes) it would make it easy for cleaning and using your own feeder. Besides those two drawbacks - I still love my coop and they are very helpful with answering any and all questions you might have. Hope this helps.

I have this coop, and it is nice! Really well made, fast shipping, good instructions for put together. I had it on my deck, and put a tarp under it. I lined the upper coop floor with vinyl, and put PDZ in it so I can easily scoop the poop out with a cat litter scooper. Overall, a great small coop. I use cheap, clear shower curtains to wrap the open sides for winter, keeps snow out, and let's sunshine in.

I realize this question is fairly old and the asker certainly has a coop by now, but thought I would add my two cents for anyone still wondering. (and especially since I saw quite a few negative reviews that were not my experience at all.) We have had the round top coop with extra run for almost a year in northwest Iowa. during the winter we put clear shower curtains around three sides of the run to keep wind and snow out and our chickens were fine, although they did stay in the roost quite a bit more than usual. it has good ventilation, which is the most important thing. I would recommend the feeder and waterer. without it the food would get wet and there would be less room in the run. the nipple on the waterer did freeze even when the de-icer kept the water from freezing so I did have to bring them water twice a day during very cold weather. our chickens go out for a few hours a day so the space is enough for them with the extra run. Overall there are minor things I would change if I was designing and building it myself, but not everyone is a do-it-yourself person! These people have thoughtfully designed this coop and has worked very well for us and we put it together in an afternoon.

great customer service and good quality. pricey, but sturdy and good looking. I have read that many pre-fabs are flimsy, but you get what you pay for.

Hi Prayerwheel, Actually one of the things I would change is that you can't walk into it, so I think the walk in option would be great. I had a walk in where I used to live and it was much easier to clean out. With the regular round top and run sometimes they lay an egg in a weird spot or kick a water dish to the back and then I have to take the run off and kind of crawl back to get it. When I clean it out I have to take the run off to rake it out. not so bad, because I can drag the run back and forth by myself, but walk in is easier. It's also kind of hard to get to the chickens on the roost, which also looks like it would be solved by the walk in.

Other things I don't love are that the bedding falls out of the nesting box and that the spot where the food and water are has a wire top, so if it's raining they get wet eating. Not the worst problems - we put plastic over the eating area and are working on the nesting box. these might not be a problem in the walk in, or you can modify yourself.

On top of your run...unscrew one of the top panels and replace hardware with hinges and put another latch to hold it closed on one side. Then you can just fold a panel back to get something. We are going to try and see if this will work on both top panels as well, instead of just one.. As far as the nest box goes...either buy cheap thin luann panels and cut to fit or cheap linoleum is even easier to cut. You can also put linoleum on the area above the feeders and anchor it down with planted pots of herbs, it will also help with the rain issue somewhat. Not if it blowing sideways through. You can also if you want buy a cheap shade canopy just get auger stakes to hold it down. and that will keep off the rain. I really agree with you on the round top. ( a pain to clean) It is built well, if you can afford the walk in I would said go for it to anyone. I kept telling my hubby that. Now he says we should have just bought the walk in. My husband is also working on a larger door for the run and for the one side of the coop where the food is. There are also plastic nesting pads you can buy. You can wash them off with water. I am going to buy some from Randall Burkey online. They are $4.99 each. These might help you too.

Back
Top Bottom