Anyone have experience with Urban Chicken Coop Company?

I put hay in the nesting box but that was all. As for cleaning out the coop…everything was frozen solid this winter so as soon as spring arrived I lifted the coop up with my husband and cleaned it all out which was a total stinky huge mess. The girls loved me for it though! I put down some lime, sand and pine shavings - all which helped with odor control. I will probably try and clean it this winter if the weather is more mild. As for the door mat - the back section that has wire mesh on the top is open for air flow (where the feeder/waterer go). I simply placed a door mat on the top so snow couldn't enter the bottom of the coop. The front door did get stuck because of all the ice but there is a side door up near where they roost that I was able to access to feed them so it wasn't a huge deal. The water heater I just bought off of Amazon. Not sure the brand -- what ever Urban suggested for ampage. I wouldn't suggest a tarp etc because when Dyan (the designer/owner) made the coop it was all about airflow and moisture control. From what I gather it is the moisture in the air in the winter that can kill the chickens -- so I wouldn't mess around with the ventilation that she has designed. I would call and talk with her - she's a great resource and can answer all questions you might have about the design. I know her Mother lives up in Wisconsin I think and she never has had any issues in the winter.

Ya I would say the self feeder and waterer is a must. With the open roost area wire floor most of the poop fall through to the run below. This would cause poop to fall into food and water. Chickens have been out since early April and so far very happy with the coop.

I'm looking at this coop right now. Do you think the smaller coop would be enough for 5 hens to roost and brood in? They would be outside the coop during the day.
Are you all still happy with this coop? Ty!

If they are going to be outside during the day I would say, yes for sure. I am still very happy with the coop. No problems at all besides the food getting wet during heavy rain.

Did you get the feeding system with it? If so, it sounds like I may not get that of it can get wet so easily.

I'm planning to put this coop together on Saturday - my chicks are almost 8 weeks old & more than ready to be outside! What did you all put down around the coop for protection? Galvanized hardware cloth? If so, 1/2 inch (19 gauge) or 1/4 inch (23 gauge)? Any thoughts on whether simply putting down 26 or 28 gauge galvanized sheet metal would work? Or even a 1" thick patio paver (12"x12")? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!

I've had my coop for about a year and when I set it up for the first time I was afraid of animals getting to my chickens. I decided to lay 12x12" pavers along the outside edge of the entire coop and haven't had any issues with animals wanting/digging for my chickens. I do live in the center of town so we don't have any huge animals but do have our fair share of opossums, raccoons, rats etc and haven't had any problems. I also have 6 chickens in this coop and let them out for a short period each day. There is plenty of room for them to roost at night and they take turns in the nesting box to lay. Have fun with your new chicks =)

Back
Top Bottom