Anyone have heritage pigs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hatchaholic, Oct 8, 2008.

1. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    We are getting Tamworths in a couple of weeks and I just wanted to know if anyone else here has them??
    Thanks.

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    No, but I was drooling over a heritage sow and her piglets at the fair... Please post pics when you get them [​IMG]

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    One of my friends has heritage pigs, she just got them. I will have to ask her the name again.Sigh. I can be SO forgetful when it comes to names. It was something really weird though. I have heard of Tamworths and that isnt it.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I was on the list for tamworths this spring and the people never contacted us even after repeat enquiries as to if the piglets were on the ground yet. I really wanted those pigs. Just last week I saw they had an ad up with piglets for sale - with the same piglet photos from spring. I refuse to buy from them now. I am making due with my yorkshires and hampshire females.

5. hatchaholic

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    We want to get some Yorkshires and Berkshires, too. Hopefully, we will get those pretty soon. I asked the kids if they wanted Santa to bring them piggies for Christmas. I just got the typical, "yeah right" look...

6. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I'm getting a Gloucestershire Old Spot in a few weeks. She is coming from Illinois to GA. I will also get a few feeder pigs this year and hopefully can find someone to breed by GOS so I can have cross bred pigs to sell and raise as feeders next year. I'm so excited. I have never owned an animal with papers:)) Now I will have a pig with papers.

7. hatchaholic

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    The GOS seems like nice pigs, too. You'll have to keep me posted.

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I would adore a Glouceser old spot...

However, I don't breed and only produce pork from weaners. It doesn't make sense to me to raise purebreeds (including heritage breeds) for meat. I only raise hybrids, typically Hampshire sired on pink sows.

9. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Well my GOS is weaned, just waiting on her papers. I will breed her probablly to a yorkshire when she is big enough. Depending on how it all goes I may or may not get a GOS male. I just like the fact that they have been bred to live on pasture and eat leftovers. Plus I think they are very cute. I'll start a new post when she gets her complete with pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by