Anyone have luck catching a feral chicken?? UPDATE: Rooster caught, no hen

Whoa. That is so creepy, yet cool...
You want to see creepy.. check this out. It's called a Malay. My daughter showed them to me. We printed one out and would tape it to the wall in random places to scare each other.
malay chicken.jpg

There are some completely featherless chickens that scientists developed so that they don't have to be plucked for processing. That's what my avatar is. I thought it was kind of beautiful, myself, but I like naked birds , dogs, rats, and cats.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...n2307-featherless-chicken-creates-a-flap/amp/

View attachment 1174175
I LOVE hairless cats. Everyone else thinks they're gross but they are the most beautiful thing ever.

I want to knit it a little neck warmer.
:oops:
You know like the leg warmers of the 80's but for the neck. :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00P...3472&sr=1-1&pi=SL180_SX137_CR0,0,137,180_QL70

Oh dear they still exist. :th

I like the new title! I been reading and learning today. :)
My younger child is distressed that our bantam is molting and insists that she's freezing b/c she's shaking. She wants to make her a coat and legwarmers. I have a heat lamp that keeps it between 35&45 so I keep telling her if she was cold she'd be by the lamp.

I just gotta say: I love this thread. You are my PEEPS!!! Best. Random. Thread. Ever. :wee

(does anyone else's SO grumble about the ridiculous amount of time you all spend on here? I find myself sneaking a peak, and typing quietly sometimes, when he turns his back. Like a true junkie.)
I don't have a SO, but let's not tell my employer exactly how much of my day is spent on here.

My DH has come to the "sunny-side" (the side with the chickens can't be the dark side), too!

They used to annoy him with the pooping on the patio, and he'd fuss about it. But now he's quite proud of our birds. He even knows all the names and their breeds. Well, the 9 that he knows about.

He agrees and acknowledges that there are far worse things I could be spending time and money on.
This is exactly how my dad is. When I was a kid he'd act all mad when I'd bring home random kittens or if a cat had a litter, then I'd take him a kitten and he'd be cuddling with it under his chin while he watched tv.

I'm from a cold place but have lived all over.
I love to SEE snow, especially when it's falling.
I love to SMELL snow because it's a smell like no other and you can SMELL it before it even starts falling from the sky.
I love to HEAR snow because if you stand out in it when it's falling, and listen verrrrrry close, you can hear each flake as it lands and all the millions of flakes make just the tiniest of clinks as they work together to cover up everything around you in a blanket of quiet.
I just hate shoveling! :confused:
I agree w/ all of that, but the part where you walk outside in the air hurts your face and lungs.. and scraping snow off my car I could do without. Every winter I send my brother in CA pictures of my car covered in snow b/c I KNOW he misses it. lol

I get the "what are you doing?" Then 20 min later "Are you still talking chicken!?!"
I start sentences the same way. "In the thread online at BYC...."
View attachment 1174263
This is a naked neck I could have. Reminds me of a poodle when they give them those strange hair cuts. LOL
I say 'the chicken people on the chicken site. When my daughter was fretting about our featherless bantam I kept telling her that the chicken people said she'll be fine. They've had chickens a lot worse off and they survived.

I didn't want to give my roos away, so I started a rooster flock :D

So, if a bantam = 1/4 a regular chicken, I only have.... 5.75 chickens!
Exactly! So now you need more chickens b/c 5 chickens isn't enough. We were victims of chicken math from day 1. Ordered 10, 11 in the box. 4 were DOA, 5 were barely hanging on and died over the next 3 days. 2 survivors. We bought 6 more the day we got the box in the mail. Then 8 more 2 weeks later. One was murdered by a coyote & one was a cockerel that I gave away. 14, but 2 are bantams so we have 13.5 chickens right now. Kids want more. A silkie.. and they want to hatch eggs... Our coop isn't big enough for that many birds so I've at least convinced them to wait and see what happens in the spring.

A neighbor up the road from us had a large coyote cross their trail cam this past weekend. I hope it was just passing through. I haven't been letting my chickens out for the past week b/c we've had a stray cat hanging out. We're hoping it leaves soon, but in the mean time the girls aren't allowed outside. I considered letting Odin, my meanie cockerel, out to play w/ the cat, but decided that was mean, plus I don't want to teach Odin to go after cats b/c I have a couple cats myself. I did give the girls a cauliflower, they loved it! Yesterday I didn't get out to the coop to collect eggs until well past dark and either an egg broke in the nest and they ate it, or they intentionally broke it. I decided it was the former b/c it was only one egg and the others were not broken. They're all back to laying in one nest again. I got a piece of plexiglass for the front window of their coop last night. It's much brighter in their now with that up so I'm hoping they'll stay inside when it's raining instead of standing outside. I measured the window opening and the measurements were equal, but apparently it's not square so it didn't fit. I got it up, but in the inside of the door, hopefully it doesn't leak, but I managed to break it while I was drilling it. SMH. Next year I'll measure it better and get a piece that actually fits from the outside. I swear I'll never be done with this coop.

You want to see creepy.. check this out. It's called a Malay. My daughter showed them to me. We printed one out and would tape it to the wall in random places to scare each other.
View attachment 1174747

I LOVE hairless cats. Everyone else thinks they're gross but they are the most beautiful thing ever.

My younger child is distressed that our bantam is molting and insists that she's freezing b/c she's shaking. She wants to make her a coat and legwarmers. I have a heat lamp that keeps it between 35&45 so I keep telling her if she was cold she'd be by the lamp.

I don't have a SO, but let's not tell my employer exactly how much of my day is spent on here.

This is exactly how my dad is. When I was a kid he'd act all mad when I'd bring home random kittens or if a cat had a litter, then I'd take him a kitten and he'd be cuddling with it under his chin while he watched tv.

I agree w/ all of that, but the part where you walk outside in the air hurts your face and lungs.. and scraping snow off my car I could do without. Every winter I send my brother in CA pictures of my car covered in snow b/c I KNOW he misses it. lol

I say 'the chicken people on the chicken site. When my daughter was fretting about our featherless bantam I kept telling her that the chicken people said she'll be fine. They've had chickens a lot worse off and they survived.

Exactly! So now you need more chickens b/c 5 chickens isn't enough. We were victims of chicken math from day 1. Ordered 10, 11 in the box. 4 were DOA, 5 were barely hanging on and died over the next 3 days. 2 survivors. We bought 6 more the day we got the box in the mail. Then 8 more 2 weeks later. One was murdered by a coyote & one was a cockerel that I gave away. 14, but 2 are bantams so we have 13.5 chickens right now. Kids want more. A silkie.. and they want to hatch eggs... Our coop isn't big enough for that many birds so I've at least convinced them to wait and see what happens in the spring.

A neighbor up the road from us had a large coyote cross their trail cam this past weekend. I hope it was just passing through. I haven't been letting my chickens out for the past week b/c we've had a stray cat hanging out. We're hoping it leaves soon, but in the mean time the girls aren't allowed outside. I considered letting Odin, my meanie cockerel, out to play w/ the cat, but decided that was mean, plus I don't want to teach Odin to go after cats b/c I have a couple cats myself. I did give the girls a cauliflower, they loved it! Yesterday I didn't get out to the coop to collect eggs until well past dark and either an egg broke in the nest and they ate it, or they intentionally broke it. I decided it was the former b/c it was only one egg and the others were not broken. They're all back to laying in one nest again. I got a piece of plexiglass for the front window of their coop last night. It's much brighter in their now with that up so I'm hoping they'll stay inside when it's raining instead of standing outside. I measured the window opening and the measurements were equal, but apparently it's not square so it didn't fit. I got it up, but in the inside of the door, hopefully it doesn't leak, but I managed to break it while I was drilling it. SMH. Next year I'll measure it better and get a piece that actually fits from the outside. I swear I'll never be done with this coop.
About your window.
One time I had a wonky one so I took a paper grocery bag which I traced to fit the opening exactly, to the hardware store with me so they could cut it to fit.
If it's only off by a little, maybe you could file it down with a metal file or even a metal nail file.

Back
Top Bottom