Anyone have picky egg eaters in their house that only eat store eggs?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by reveriereptile, Feb 21, 2009.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I live on a farm with my in-laws, husband, and his sister and her boyfriend. Only my father-in-law and me will touch our organic eggs. No one else will touch them and they buy eggs from the store. My mother-in-law says she doesn't want the chance of a fertile egg. Other excuses have been they prefer the eggs that have been made shiny, don't want to eat something that came out of a butt they know, and that our eggs are dirty. I can understand getting a fertile egg but we collect them every day. I don't get the part about the shell though since you don't eat the shell and we clean ours when we bring them in. We have white and brown eggs of different sizes. Anyone else have this problem? If we try to cook something that involves eggs in it they will look in the trash to check the shells of the eggs we used and if they are unsure they don't eat it. My father-in-law grew up in a farm family but my mother-in-law didn't. The weird part is even her family will take and eat the eggs if we have extras.

2. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Do your ladies lay eggs similar to storebought eggs? I'd clean them up real well and sneak them into a storebought carton and "make" them eat them. Once you get the taste of nummy "homemade" eggs into them, they should be convinced... Lol. Or, you could make them read the stories of how yucky some of the egg factories are. I'm weird about the egg shells too, when we get local eggs, I want them to be clean, but, once they're clean, there's nothing wrong with them.

3. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    My DIL won't touch my home laid eggs. Told her about battery cages and she don't care. She don't go so far as to look in the trash though. At least not yet. I could see her doing that though if she thought of it.

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    It leaves more for the incubator![​IMG] Most don't want to know! That is why our ground goat meat says burger on the packages. [​IMG] Even Gf thinks it is ground deer burger. Quail eggs are another! Had people irate about screwing with wildlife! They will eat deviled chicken eggs though; go figure! Go ahead and trick 'em they deserve it! It was 3 weeks of replacing farm eggs in the store catron before the boys caught on; then it was too late! They didn't fix them anyways. They are getting better about eating chicken; can't have any veins or bones.

5. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
  6. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Not in my house, but for the last 2 years I have been giving eggs to my daughters preschool teachers, they LOVE them! Well one of the little girls grandmother asked me about them. I told her that they were large brown eggs, and immediately she said ewwww, I am 63 years old and I have never had a brown egg. I asked her if she would like to try 6 and she said yes. A few days later I saw her again and she said she cooked one, gagged and called her daughter and told her... get these eggs out of my house right now! She said she just couldn't do it! [​IMG]

7. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    But storebought eggs are never shiny... they're all rough and they use chemicals to clean them off...

And actually tell your mother in law this, I was at the grocery store the other day and opened a container of STORE EGGS FROM BURNBRAE EGGS, so a big eggery and one had a huge clump of poo on it, and another was almost smashed to bits.

Yeah.. I'd eat those for sure. *rolls eyes*

Plus, here store eggs are more expensive than our eggs so we have repeat customers here because they would rather spend the money on gas than the eggs at the store.

8. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    My 13 year old DD will not eat farm eggs. She says it's weird to eat something from her pet's rear. [​IMG]

9. Tiempo

Tiempo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Stockbridge, MI
    Quote:Wow, that's really bizarre!

I can't understand people who think store eggs are better..my best friend's hubby is the same way..he said, "real eggs come from Meijer" [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:She does know that ALL eggs come from a chicken's rear, right?

I have no tolerance for stupidity, really. Your 13 yr old is excused...she's a teen, LOL. My own DIL will only eat white eggs, even when I say they are just white because of the breed of chicken. Dont even get me started on this subject. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by