Anyone have REAL free range chickens and a dog too?

My chickens free range and can go where ever they want. I have a havanese and two great pyranyse. A year ago two beagles came by and killed 2 of my chickens,
sad.png
but i have no problems with the havanese. The great pyranyse do steal the eggs,
idunno.gif
but they can be trained not to do that i have heard.

Thanks for all the replies, this a.m. we visited a friend who has free range chickens and 2 dogs, border collie and lab, both are loose as well. We are very encouraged by all the posts. Our new dog has had NO training at all, responds only to Good Dog and O.k.. Has never had a collar or leash on, but after 3 days he heels nicely. A very fast learner. Have decided to work on some basics first like come, etc. before we move onto harder things. Meanwhile, the chickens can free range as usual and dog will be accompanied by a human in his area outside.
He is a VERY NICE dog, some kind of shepherd collie mix. All of our chickens are pets too, we need for everyone to be able to co-exist. Thanks for all the input! snows.

Quote:
sickbyc.gif
Nothing like a dog that eats trail-treats!
sickbyc.gif
Then they come running to you and want to give you a big ol' sloppy kiss!
sickbyc.gif
Or better yet they stick their face in front of you and pant heavily to share an aromatic whiff of what they have been eating!
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Sorry to hear that...and I would be right there with you taking out those chicken killers. Drop em and be done with it for sure.

My recently passed Great Pyrenees loved the chickens and vice versa. The other dogs (geriatric lab, poodle/terrier mix, chi/jack russell mix) ignore them. The pug is insatiably curious and goes over to see them, but the roos are taller than she is and she leaves as quickly. And mine free range all day.

However, with the Pyr gone, I am not so sure next Spring when there is more activity. I'll have to watch. May have to get another Pyr...

I have a golden retriever and I never had to do any training with him. I got baby chicks sat with them while they played the dog sat next to me watching, has never chased them if they come up to him he goes the other direction!! LOL wimp. He has chased my ducks only after seeing a foster dog do it. BUt hasn't since chased anything and he is out side alone with them for the past 2 years now. He is mostly inside unless i let him out to do his business. I think he killed a fox this year, because I found a dead on in my yard with drool on it!!! So i guess he likes the chickens but not as toys or food.

My lab/husky was 3 when I got my flock. He and the chickens shared half an acre (with the chickens having exclusive access to another half acre which we kept him out of due to the conditon of the fence and his tendancy to wander) He has no prey drive at all, unless something threatens HIS flock of chickens or his kids, or his cat... He is so docile, its amazing that he has rescued a hen from a raccoon 5 times (same hen, same coon). Fool bird has no idea she owes her life to him. I gave up getting up to check on the birds in the middle of the night when I heard squawking. he was so much more effective, I just let him take care of them.
My puppy (ok, so at 85 lbs and 4 years I suppose 'puppy' isn't quite accurate) being an only dog got so attatched to his chickens that he has actually tried to become a vegetarian! I kid you not. He used to inhale any meat based kitchen scrap he could find, but since the day he found out where chicken comes from (we proccessed an agressive roo who went after the kids... the dog was so upset!) he WILL NOT EAT raw poultry of any kind. He won't even taste it... he just looks at it, sniffs it, and looks at me with big sad eyes like he wants to ask why the poor birdie had to die. Of course they smell different cooked, and he hasn't made the connection yet, but he has done his best to give up poultry. For my darling dog, chickens are definatly friends, not food.

My dobe is 7 and she is/has always been a protector of the chickens never harmed one even when our buckeye roo attacked her! Most see dobes as a threat gto life and limb but this is my fourth dobe and never lost a limb of a chicken, cat,
celebrate.gif
or me!!

Back
Top Bottom