Anyone have Sourdough Starter?

Do you keep Sourdough starter?

• Total voters
Pics
I'm looking into making and raising Sourdough starter. I wanted to see if anyone else does this.
How old is your starter? Does it have a name? Do you have any tips for me (a beginner)?
Hi 👋🏼,
Ayup, I do sourdough. I make about 10# of bread weekly. The original starter was given to my uncle abt 40 years ago from a friend in Germany. We’re in SoCal.

Eventually, no matter where your starter originates, it will be colonized by your local yeasts. Unless you keep it under lab conditions…

I abuse the heck out of mine, and it just keeps trucking. Once it’s stable, and you get a feel of it, it’s very easy to keep going.

Mine stays in the fridge. 🤷‍♀️

Are you on Twitter? If so, I can point you to several people that have extensive threads on wild yeasts.

Patience is needed because not much happens fast with sourdough…

Yes! I do! I love sourdough. Mine’s been going for almost a year now, I got it from a friend who has a sourdough bakery here in BTR right before lockdown here in March. Mine stays in the fridge too. It’s 100% rye flour and water, so it’s quite stiff. Her name is Lois after my great-aunt and a character in the book Sourdough.

To start, maybe read King Arthur Flour’s articles on sourdough, as well as Bake From Scratch’s articles. Also, you are totally welcome in the Any Home Bakers Here? Thread to ask questions! Our resident sourdough expert @ronott1 is just fantastic.

Do note that if at any time you see *any* mold in the jar or on the surface of the starter, you *must* chuck the starter and start over. Mold spores infiltrate a liquid like starter quickly and deeply, and can be toxic.

Let me know if you have any questions!

I'm looking into making and raising Sourdough starter. I wanted to see if anyone else does this.
How old is your starter? Does it have a name? Do you have any tips for me (a beginner)?
Yes! Come join the baking thread. Lots of sourdough folks there, and @ronott1 is the "sourdough guru."

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-home-bakers-here.921333/#post-14026458

There is an index on the first page with recipes. Lots and lots and lots of recipes! :love

We do (well, my wife does, in the fridge). Its pretty bulletproof. We had one going in central TX for a decade, did not bring it with us when we moved. Restarted here in FL, where it was even easier to get going.

We use it for bread, of course, english muffins, sometimes pizza, foccacia. Every once in a while, a small amount of excess starter goes to the chicks in the same way that a wilted celery stick goes to the flock, or a carrot's peel, etc.

We've made injira, too - which is the same idea, but a different grain for the flour than you see here in the US. I am a **BIG** proponent of King Arthur's products. Consistently high quality, and higher protein than most of the supermarket competitors. Also, "Bob's Red Mill" (great supplies for making rye and pumpernickle breads), and more recently Anthony's (though I've not used their flours other than Teff, mostly their bulk spices, I have every reason to believe their flours are of high quality as well).

Back
Top Bottom