Anyone have Sourdough Starter?

Do you keep Sourdough starter?

• Total voters
There are recipes on the baker's thread, I'm sure. I didn't think of looking there, so I thought this might work, and I like it. It's just for me, so one pan cake. Do this when you need to use some starter and feed it.

Pour enough starter for one pancake into a bowl. (I don't know how much I use.)
Add about 1 teaspoon of sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon, mix.
Melt some butter in a small frying pan on medium heat.
When it sizzles, add the sourdough starter.
Play "whack-a-bubble" until the top looks mostly dry, and flip the pancake.
Cook the second side for 1-2 min.
For comparison, here's my recipe:

Sourdough pancake recipe (to feed 1-3 people):
1 cup starter
1 teaspoon sugar
1 egg
mix

Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in a little bit of water
When the pan is hot, stir that baking soda/water into the batter
Pour batter into the pan to make pancakes, cook until nearly done on top, flip and cook the other side.

The baking soda reacts with the acid in the sourdough to make it rise, but the bubbles go away fairly fast, which is why you add it only at the last minute. That way the pancakes are nice and fluffy.

(If you try it and don't quite like the results: feel free to change the quantity of starter, sugar, egg, or baking soda. My actual measurements usually include "one ladle" of starter and a "sprinkle" of sugar and "this many" bantam eggs and so on, but I tried to convert to something other people might have in their kitchens to measure with.)

When I want pancakes for lots of people, I mix another small batch while cooking the previous one, so each batch will rise nicely-- I like them fluffy, not flat.

I had to order gluten free starter. I feed half rice flour, half oat flour. Her name is Judy, after my mom.

I have made some sourdough bread. I thought it turned out pretty well; it sure tasted good, especially with soup!

We're going to get another really cold snap in a few days. That's a good time to bake sourdough, as many recipes are for a 450-500 degree oven. I surely won't be doing that in the summer!

Speaking of baking at 450-500 degrees... I got oven mitts rated for those kinds of temperatures. The kind I got is called "Ove Glove." $20 for a pair, but believe me, worth it.

The baking soda reacts with the acid in the sourdough to make it rise, but the bubbles go away fairly fast, which is why you add it only at the last minute. That way the pancakes are nice and fluffy.
Ah! Well, that explains why mine are pretty dense. I certainly wouldn't call my pancakes fluffy.

I'm looking into making and raising Sourdough starter. I wanted to see if anyone else does this.
How old is your starter? Does it have a name? Do you have any tips for me (a beginner)?
My mother makes sourdough, I can’t be certain if she has any starter as of right now, but she has made it. I’ll have to ask her about tips and how old it has to be. ;)

I just took a loaf of gluten free sourdough bread out of the oven. :drool I really hate having to wait for it to cool before I whack a chunk off and slather it with butter!

I just took a loaf of gluten free sourdough bread out of the oven. :drool I really hate having to wait for it to cool before I whack a chunk off and slather it with butter!

Is it one of those breads that squishes or falls apart if you cut it when it's hot?

What I've read is that it gets soggy. I guess all the steam has to work its way out...? I'm not sure. I do know it is delicious!
I do not know about your bread recipe, especially because it is gluten free.

But the breads I make do not get soggy if I cut them while hot.
They do squish, and may look ugly. The cut surface sometimes dries out in an odd way, too.
(I usually cut a loaf while it's hot, because it just tastes so good at that time! The "problems" with the rest of the loaf are not bad enough to stop me.)

If it's a recipe you make regularly, I would probably cut it hot once, and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom