Anyone have Sourdough Starter?

Do you keep Sourdough starter?

• Total voters
Wow, warm sourdough bread with butter is really good. Really, really.

We'll see if anything disappointing happens to the rest of the loaf. And, @NatJ I am not holding you responsible for anything. I did this all to and by myself. :gig

Every time I’ve cut mine hot, it gets gummy. The recipe I use even warns about that. So I quit, but it kills me!
Yeah, that's what I read. We'll see if it happens. Either way, it was worth it. OMG, was warm sourdough bread with lots of butter delicious.

Any idea why it gets gummy if you cut it hot?

Something I read when I first started out with sourdough said that the molecules are still wet and dense. The cuts we make on top are supposed continue to release that steam inside slowly, just like they release steam while the bread is baking. Cutting too soon throws that timing off. Or some such.

3F844F5A-D012-43B0-8CD1-173505695CBA.jpeg

Had to share this— this is what a good starter should make!

I have a question and it's sort of a strange one: If you have sourdough starter do you have to make bread regularly? I don't bake much, so I won't be using the starter regularly, does the starter have to be used a lot?

You can get your starter going and strong, then refrigerate it. You only have to feed it once a week (you can stretch that even longer), then just get it out, feed it a couple of times, and it’s ready to use!

There’s also a “no discard” starter. Every day for a week you put in 25 grams of rye flour and 25 grams of water. When it’s nice and active, bake a loaf of bread and just refrigerate the scrapings left in the bottom of the jar. When you want to bake, get it out, check your recipe, and feed enough flour and water to wake up the starter. So if your recipe calls for 100 grams of starter, add 50 grams of rye flour and 50 grams of water. Make your dough and refrigerate the scrapings. I’ve had pretty good luck with that. And no, you don’t have to make just rye bread with it because your starter is rye. It’s just that rye is preferred for this method because it activates the fastest.

Back
Top Bottom