Anyone have white leghorn rooster experience?

Pics
Jan 11, 2021
So...my cousin gifted me some chicks and I am grateful. One of them is a white leghorn and only about 4 weeks old but I’m sort of convinced it is a little rooster or maybe just a total head hen in the making. He/she guards the little chick flock or appears to by sort of keeping track of them all, standing over them on the feeder while they eat and keeping order amongst them all. What concerns me is that if this is a rooster then he is a super serious personality to be practicing already at 3-4 weeks old! The what might he be like as an adult. I have read few and mixed reviews on whether they are aggressive or not.

Anyone out there experience something similar? Especially with Leghorns? This is my first experience with the breed and my first time with chicks of my very own. Have three adult hens that I started with and have only enjoyed chicks through family or friends previously. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I have leghorns, and I can only tell you that they do often look more mature for a while than the rest of the flock. This often makes people think they’re male even when they’re not.
My head hen, even as an adult, often has people thinking she’s a rooster. She’s my best layer.
Thanks so much! That’s definitely helpful to know. I have definitely been enjoying him or her since writing my post. The little thing has started trying to dust bath in the towel in our laps and it’s so cute. It’s such a good flyer already it’s impressive. My Easter egger chicks are jealous and keep trying to copy but they don’t have enough feathers yet and they are same age. Thanks again!

Do you have any pictures of the little one?
3B09E43D-80E4-4E95-8F37-68867C991589.jpeg

I will try to get a better one soon! They are sleeping but the little leghorn is closest to wall of brooder

Back
Top Bottom