Anyone here purchace the Omlet Fencing System for a run?

Smiling Angel

Chickens R Us
7 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Central New Jersey
Greetings from suddenly chilly New Jersey! We had three beautiful days with sunny temps in the 70's, then one day of rain, and now COLD temps for a day or two. Well, this, too, shall pass. Anyhow, as the weather warms, we would like our girls to have some running room near their coop. We've discussed different ideas for a run, but most of them need to be done by someone else (no handy homesteaders in this house). Then I saw an advertisement right here on BYC, I believe, and thought this sounded like a great solution to our problem. It's called the Omlet Fencing System, and you can read about it here: https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/omlet_chicken_fencing/ . I am seriously considering this, as it is easy to set up, is basically portable, and not too much money. I've read the reviews, and almost all of them are very positive. I would only need the 39' fence, as I plan to put it right up against the front of our coop where the entrance door is, and we only have five chickens. It seems to solve all of our problems.

So, anyone out there who bought this, and, if so, how do you like it? If you have no experiences with it, I would greatly appreciate it if you would take a look at their home page, and let me know what you think of it. I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

pop.gif
Bumping this up. I just saw these today, and I'm wondering about other peoples experiences with them.

I researched the omlet fence a while back and think they are fantasic in the right situation. For myself I went with electric netting instead. My main reason is fear that an animal (especially our dog) would get tangled in the omlet fence. Without the shock to keep them off the fence, it's a real risk. If I had a fenced in yard and was just using the omlet fence to keep the chickens where I wanted, I think it would be ideal. Keeping stuff out though, maybe not.

Here's a piccy of mine in use but as you can see, it is a run within a run. I would not trust it in any way to keep predators out but I can rely on my six foot chicken wire, dug down a foot and skirted, to do that for me. The Omlet fence just keeps the adult birds away from the growers until they are big enough to join the main flock.

Here's a piccy of mine in use but as you can see, it is a run within a run. I would not trust it in any way to keep predators out but I can rely on my six foot chicken wire, dug down a foot and skirted, to do that for me. The Omlet fence just keeps the adult birds away from the growers until they are big enough to join the main flock.
I'm thinking of purchasing some for the same reason, to divide a very generous chain link enclosure into a broiler side and a turkey side.

Just so you know, the Omlet fence is designed to be a full circuit....in other words it says you can place the 'gate' wherever you want it but it has a continuous net with a 'gate pole' you put on one end, with the intention that it will then be placed in a circuit of whatever shape, then attached to the other end of the same net.

I have used mine as a divider so I have attached one end to an existing support pole for the main pen and then used the gate pole at the other end, rigging up a loop round another existing support pole for the gatepole to attach to. This means my Omlet fence is actually only providing two 'walls' of the pen shown in the picture, the other two 'walls' being provided by the existing chicken wire fence. This meant I could use a 12m Omlet fence to create a 6m square pen intead of a 3m square pen if I had used it on its own.

So Hummingbird Hollow, if you want to use it to divide your existing pen, you will also need to rig up something to make the entrance gate as it does not self support.

Since this fence is only for keeping chickens in and not animals out I would say to anyone looking into buying it that some sticks and a roll of chicken wire will do the exact same job for a lot less money!

Actually, I did look into it and in the UK at least, twelve metres of four foot high chicken wire and some spiked poles to keep it up were not gonna cost me that much less....I would have saved about £15 and it would have looked like a pig's ear! Lol! Because my pen is at the school where I work and 'on show' to parents, governors and visitors, I have to keep things looking good so chose this option instead.....but yes, for anyone who doesn't have to worry quite so much about aesthetics and wants a more permanent fence (mine is only in use until the growers are big enough to integrate) then chicken wire and spiked poles would be cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom