Anyone here who won't eat cage eggs?!

Fierlin1182

powered-flight
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Ever since I found out the truth about what goes on "behind the scenes" at battery farms, I haven't been able to bring myself to eat a cage egg.
Thankfully, our hens started laying around that time, but occasionally there is a shortage in eggs, and my dad buys caged ones from the supermarket (says they're cheap
roll.png
). He calls me a "princess" in a sarcastic way when I won't eat them, but I know I have my reasons so I mostly just ignore him
lol.png

Anyone else with me? I just can't bring myself to do it.

Haven't eaten them for many years. If I run short I only buy from/beg from friends or buy organic free-range from the supermarket.

Last edited:
Gosh, I wonder what your dad would call me then? I don't eat chicken either:lol: Broiler chickens are a nightmare!
Last year we went to the supermarket, not knowing they had this "special" offer. If you buy a certain item you get a box of eggs for free. Well, I gave the eggs back to them, or tried to. The cashier insisted I take it and after just about yelling at the girl, I gave up and gave it to the guy packing our bags at the till point. Now I can say I won't eat battery eggs if you give them to me for free:p

Next time your dad, or anyone criticize your decision tell them: "I am what I eat and I don't swallow misery"

thumbsup.gif

That's a good one!

I have to say I'm guilty of liking to eat KFC, but I'm cutting back a lot recently.
hide.gif

Perhaps I need to watch a documentary on broiler chickens too!

ray's two cents :

Ever since I found out the truth about what goes on "behind the scenes" at battery farms, I haven't been able to bring myself to eat a cage egg.
Thankfully, our hens started laying around that time, but occasionally there is a shortage in eggs, and my dad buys caged ones from the supermarket (says they're cheap
roll.png
). He calls me a "princess" in a sarcastic way when I won't eat them, but I know I have my reasons so I mostly just ignore him
lol.png

Anyone else with me? I just can't bring myself to do it.

I think your signature says it all. Why perpetuate misery (in any creature, really) when you don't have to? Not always is sound logic behind ends justifying means.
wink.png

Quote:
Great news for chickens! I too will not eat eggs from Battery Hens. I went to an agricultural high school and have not eaten them since! We had a huge production barn full of these unfortunate girls and the conditions were terrible. The ammonia, constant noise, bright lights, debeaking, and way too crowded. It's even difficult to eat pork after dragging them off to slaughter. Their squeals can be heard for miles.
sad.png

Nope, no way. I HATE caged eggs, they always tasted a bit weird to me, and now I have access to my free-range chickens eggs (who are so spoilt) I couldn't cope with the taste. More to the point, now I have chickens I cannot believe that it is legal to lock them up in cages. My ISA browns (especially bred for battery farms) cannot sit still for a minute. They love foraging.

Add me to the list. If my girls molt and don't lay eggs, I can drive 10 minutes and buy all the eggs I need sold on a farm. They have 250 chickens and sell their eggs 2.50 a dozen.

I still prefer my own though. My yolks are oranger then everyone else's around here! :p

Add me to the list too, when I was a kid I wouldn't let my mum buy them from the shop either (that was approx 15 years ago??).

Anyway, recently my sister lectured me on how they're just overpriced and you can't even taste the difference. My jaw hit the floor,
I responded with the "It's not about the flavour.... It's about the cruelty of the cage industry!!??" Anyway, hopefully I wont have to buy
any eggs soon
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom