Anyone here working toward zero waste?

PolergirlOH

Chirping
Mar 12, 2019
Columbus Ohio
The state of our planet from a sustainability standpoint concerns me, to put it mildly. So I’ve been slowly but surely eliminating single use plastics in our home. It’s easier than I thought it’d be! Reusable straws, cutlery, and grocery bags, making convenience foods or buying in bulk and putting in cloth or glass containers ... every small thing I do makes me feel like I might just be able to make a difference.

Anyone here doing the same? What have been your biggest zero waste triumphs? What are your problem areas?

My problem areas have been buying things like berries. Where can I get those that aren't in those terrible little plastic containers? I have my own during the summer, but I like fresh berries all year. I know I'm spoiled :barnie

@LizzzyJo OMG SAAAAAAME
I take my own containers to the farmers markets and that helps, but sometimes they have them already packed up and won’t take them out. :/

Last edited:
I love this post! I just told my fiance that I'd like to make it a family goal (us and our 3 daughters) to basically live on a homestead. This way we can eliminate a lot of waste by growing/raising our own food.
My problem area is both my fiance and I were raised on frozen and boxed foods. On top of the poor nutritional value, I feel like it's such a waste to buy these things. For example, boxed Mac and cheese. We use to buy these by dozens. When I started to have kids I realized I wanted more for them and now I make my own Mac and cheese in bulk from scratch and freeze it. But I am not the best cook and I don't think my fiance even knows what a stove is :lau. So it's hard because if there isn't a recipe for me to follow I am too intimidated to try and just end up grabbing something frozen, wrapped in way too much plastic :(

@NewPoultryMom2019 don’t give up! Start with simple recipes like beans and rice (both available in bring your own package/bulk thus waste free!) and add a bit of meat or tofu. See what flavors you like together. Then look to see what other recipes you come across with those same flavor profiles. Lather rinse repeat. Before you know it you’ll have built a custom recipe book!

@NewPoultryMom2019 don’t give up! Start with simple recipes like beans and rice (both available in bring your own package/bulk thus waste free!) and add a bit of meat or tofu. See what flavors you like together. Then look to see what other recipes you come across with those same flavor profiles. Lather rinse repeat. Before you know it you’ll have built a custom recipe book!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom