Anyone here working toward zero waste?

Not a hard one either if you can get your hand on some clear heavy duty plastic and pvc pipes. They last for quite a while.
But I thought the goal was to stop using plastic???? In hot climates (like mine) clear plastic and tarps are good for one summer only. They disintegrate from the hot sun. What I'd like to stop using are the irritating plastic bags from the produce section of the grocery store. I sure wish they would provide the paper bags like back in the 1950's.

I love this post! I just told my fiance that I'd like to make it a family goal (us and our 3 daughters) to basically live on a homestead. This way we can eliminate a lot of waste by growing/raising our own food.
My problem area is both my fiance and I were raised on frozen and boxed foods. On top of the poor nutritional value, I feel like it's such a waste to buy these things. For example, boxed Mac and cheese. We use to buy these by dozens. When I started to have kids I realized I wanted more for them and now I make my own Mac and cheese in bulk from scratch and freeze it. But I am not the best cook and I don't think my fiance even knows what a stove is :lau. So it's hard because if there isn't a recipe for me to follow I am too intimidated to try and just end up grabbing something frozen, wrapped in way too much plastic :(

There are tons of good and simple recipes on the internet. Start with your main protein (chicken, fish, etc.) and see what you can find. I've found some great casseroles that the family loves! My son loves the hamburger and potato casserole I found! Cooking in the crock pot is wonderful too. Throw in a roast with a can of cream of mushroom soup and let it go on slow all day. Yum! And you didn't slave over a stove at all. Serve with a salad and you are done! :hugs

I would like too! I need to make this one of my goals, in the past I would start eliminating items but then slowly fall back into the convenience of single use plastics :oops: and it makes me feel ashamed. Currently our cabinet is full of plastic cutlery, plates, and cups. Life gets busy and its so tempting to use those to just grab and go and throw away. After this batch I'm going to start eliminating items, no need to put that much waste out when we have perfectly fine reusable dinner ware.

I think it's ok to have and use plastic cutlery on occasion! I have some and use it for parties, but most of the time it's the regular washable forks and spoons! I use paper plates a lot, but we can burn those!

But I thought the goal was to stop using plastic???? In hot climates (like mine) clear plastic and tarps are good for one summer only. They disintegrate from the hot sun. What I'd like to stop using are the irritating plastic bags from the produce section of the grocery store. I sure wish they would provide the paper bags like back in the 1950's.

Those can be recycled. Maybe Buy lunch bags and use those. Lingerie bags work too and I use them, just wash between uses.

Those can be recycled. Maybe Buy lunch bags and use those. Lingerie bags work too and I use them, just wash between uses.

Here in California the produce plastic bags are not recyclable. I haven't asked if they will allow one to bring in paper bags to use at the stores here. Remember this is California and it's expensive and radical and weird!!!! I will try tho! ;)

Here in California the produce plastic bags are not recyclable. I haven't asked if they will allow one to bring in paper bags to use at the stores here. Remember this is California and it's expensive and radical and weird!!!! I will try tho! ;)

Thankfully I left there many moons ago. What do they care what bags you use? It's your groceries. I get looks over my bags. I just look back. Go ahead and say something...next time you'll be putting those 12 apples on the scale not in a bag
4chsmu1.gif

Here we recycle with grocery bags so I dunno why it's different there.

Thankfully I left there many moons ago. What do they care what bags you use? It's your groceries. I get looks over my bags. I just look back. Go ahead and say something...next time you'll be putting those 12 apples on the scale not in a bag View attachment 1777318

Here we recycle with grocery bags so I dunno why it's different there.

As you may or may not know, California banned the use of plastic bags by any store that sells groceries. You have to take your own bags and I don't mind that at all! I like it and always have a "bag of bags" to use. You almost make my point about the produce bags. Are you going to put all your produce in the cart loose? Because 99% of produce is weighed I don't know if the store(s) will allow you to use paper or other bags. I don't see why not, if it weighs more, you pay more! I will be asking on my next trip to town if I can use other bags! If they say it's ok, I sure will! Congratulations of leaving California! I wish I could. :hugs

As you may or may not know, California banned the use of plastic bags by any store that sells groceries. You have to take your own bags and I don't mind that at all! I like it and always have a "bag of bags" to use. You almost make my point about the produce bags. Are you going to put all your produce in the cart loose? Because 99% of produce is weighed I don't know if the store(s) will allow you to use paper or other bags. I don't see why not, if it weighs more, you pay more! I will be asking on my next trip to town if I can use other bags! If they say it's ok, I sure will! Congratulations of leaving California! I wish I could. :hugs

Stores are moving in that direction here and I don't mind that at all! In fact I think its a good idea and I use old tshirts to make cute bags from. I just don't get why the plastic for produce then either. But if you can take a paper lunch bag I doubt that would really weigh much more than the plastic? I'll try weighing them on my scale today.

I do not put my produce in my cart loose. I use either a paper lunch bag or the lingerie bags except for some greens that I buy because they don't fit. Those bags I can recycle by taking back to the store a few times if they don't tear, then we recycle in the bag drop at the store itself. We can also recycle the wrappings from toilet paper and paper towels here by taking to the bag drop at the store.

Plant based plastics are becoming more prevalent. Our dog food bags can be recycled because they're plant based which I really love! I wish more food products would be packaged that way.

Honestly, we left CA because I got a good paying job in AZ. I didn't really want to leave, but now that I'm gone I'm happy I am. I do miss it sometimes though. We could get to the mountains, beach or desert in an hour. The beach is what I miss the most. I don't miss the expense!

Stores are moving in that direction here and I don't mind that at all! In fact I think its a good idea and I use old tshirts to make cute bags from. I just don't get why the plastic for produce then either. But if you can take a paper lunch bag I doubt that would really weigh much more than the plastic? I'll try weighing them on my scale today.

I do not put my produce in my cart loose. I use either a paper lunch bag or the lingerie bags except for some greens that I buy because they don't fit. Those bags I can recycle by taking back to the store a few times if they don't tear, then we recycle in the bag drop at the store itself. We can also recycle the wrappings from toilet paper and paper towels here by taking to the bag drop at the store.

Plant based plastics are becoming more prevalent. Our dog food bags can be recycled because they're plant based which I really love! I wish more food products would be packaged that way.

Honestly, we left CA because I got a good paying job in AZ. I didn't really want to leave, but now that I'm gone I'm happy I am. I do miss it sometimes though. We could get to the mountains, beach or desert in an hour. The beach is what I miss the most. I don't miss the expense!

Yeah, I sure don't understand banning plastic grocery bags but not the produce bags! It's like California wants to do the politically correct thing, but doesn't care if it's effective. Almost all garbage companies here give you recycle bins and such, but the news did an expose that showed much of the time the garbage companies throw the recycling in the landfill anyway, especially now because China won't accept our garbage anymore. I think it's disgraceful, we pay for recycling and most folks do their best and then the businesses don't care.

Anyway, I'm glad you're happy in AZ! I used to have relatives there but they are long dead now. I am not a beach person and don't want to go there, so it would work for me! I'm sure the expense is not missed! Auto gas is over $4 a gallon now and going up fast! You don't miss that I'm sure! :p

Yeah, I sure don't understand banning plastic grocery bags but not the produce bags! It's like California wants to do the politically correct thing, but doesn't care if it's effective. Almost all garbage companies here give you recycle bins and such, but the news did an expose that showed much of the time the garbage companies throw the recycling in the landfill anyway, especially now because China won't accept our garbage anymore. I think it's disgraceful, we pay for recycling and most folks do their best and then the businesses don't care.

Anyway, I'm glad you're happy in AZ! I used to have relatives there but they are long dead now. I am not a beach person and don't want to go there, so it would work for me! I'm sure the expense is not missed! Auto gas is over $4 a gallon now and going up fast! You don't miss that I'm sure! :p
they may offer you recycling there but not here the garbage companies throw it all in the back of the truck and either haul it to a landfill or incinerator some will give you a trash can others will charge you extra for a trash can but they sound liker a Taylor Swift song about recycling bins because they will "never ever ever" give you one. and I'm glad I'm not in Cali, our gas is over a buck cheaper here and that's at the highest is 3 bucks, it's right around 285=300 depending where you go.

Back
Top Bottom