Anyone in Ireland?

Hi, I'm in Roscommon (just!) Border of Galway and Mayo. This is a great site for info
smile.png

HI All! I am curious what breeds of chickens people are breeding in Ireland and how popular chicken keeping is...which lead me to finding this thread. I wanted to drop in, say hello and chat with a few of you from there.
My better half just left for Clonmel (work trip) for a week and we hope to visit sometime soon with him. Also, just lightly were talking about a future move for work over there and were wondering about all the schematics including chicken keeping.

HI All! I am curious what breeds of chickens people are breeding in Ireland and how popular chicken keeping is...which lead me to finding this thread. I wanted to drop in, say hello and chat with a few of you from there.
My better half just left for Clonmel (work trip) for a week and we hope to visit sometime soon with him. Also, just lightly were talking about a future move for work over there and were wondering about all the schematics including chicken keeping.

I'm actually from clonmel, many different breeds are kept but hybrids are probably the most commonly kept for eggs. you can get pretty much any breed here if you are willing to travel for a couple of hours. The only difference really is that we don't have hatcheries like in America, so you have to get everything from other breeders. The most commonly kept purebred birds are probably Rhode Island Red and Sussex. There are two national poultry clubs, the original Irish society of poultry fanciers and the new club that has been formed because there are manny problems with the first, this is called the poultry keepers club of Ireland. Chicken keeping is actually a lot easier here I think because of the less extreme weather, coops (or hen houses as they are called here) can be much smaller and grass is easier to come by. If you are seriously considering keeping chickens in Ireland I suggest you join fowl.ie (free) and ask some people.

Hi I'm from Tyrone I was wondering are all the Irish hens laying? I haven't got an eggs since october
1f633.png

Back
Top Bottom