Anyone in Ireland?

HI All! I am curious what breeds of chickens people are breeding in Ireland and how popular chicken keeping is...which lead me to finding this thread. I wanted to drop in, say hello and chat with a few of you from there.
My better half just left for Clonmel (work trip) for a week and we hope to visit sometime soon with him. Also, just lightly were talking about a future move for work over there and were wondering about all the schematics including chicken keeping.

HI All! I am curious what breeds of chickens people are breeding in Ireland and how popular chicken keeping is...which lead me to finding this thread. I wanted to drop in, say hello and chat with a few of you from there.
My better half just left for Clonmel (work trip) for a week and we hope to visit sometime soon with him. Also, just lightly were talking about a future move for work over there and were wondering about all the schematics including chicken keeping.

I'm actually from clonmel, many different breeds are kept but hybrids are probably the most commonly kept for eggs. you can get pretty much any breed here if you are willing to travel for a couple of hours. The only difference really is that we don't have hatcheries like in America, so you have to get everything from other breeders. The most commonly kept purebred birds are probably Rhode Island Red and Sussex. There are two national poultry clubs, the original Irish society of poultry fanciers and the new club that has been formed because there are manny problems with the first, this is called the poultry keepers club of Ireland. Chicken keeping is actually a lot easier here I think because of the less extreme weather, coops (or hen houses as they are called here) can be much smaller and grass is easier to come by. If you are seriously considering keeping chickens in Ireland I suggest you join fowl.ie (free) and ask some people.

if you live in small towns not citys loads of people have chickens.you have to buy them off small scale breeders and there is often poultry sales in towns aswell most people wpuld usually have only 5 or 6 hens for eggs :)

Hi I'm from Tyrone I was wondering are all the Irish hens laying? I haven't got an eggs since october
1f633.png

I'm in Laois. My birds have only started to lay again in the last week or two. My Naked Necks, Silver Duckwing Leghorns and Muscovies are laying regularly. The bantams are laying the odd egg.

hello! my daughter is doing a project on Ireland do you have any suggestions for clothes or food ect.
thanks,
BettyBlueSilkie
Clothes same as anywhere else i guess most teenagers where tracksuits but that varies. google it theyll giveu a better discription.i am irish live in ireland allways have lived in ireland and this is what i eat usually a dinner of spuds some sort of meat e.g lamb beef etc and vegtables e.g brocolie,cabbage etc. i usually drink a nice cup of tea with my dinner i eat fast food to burgers pizza etc sometimes.weather is raining most of the time not hot except this year was an extremlty hot year extremly hot 30 degrease celciouse for most of da summer hardly any rain but where making up for it now storm after storm and its raining as im writing this loads of people farm lots of people have other jobs aswell betiful senery if the country side da west is da best green green green spuds spuds spuds spuds ireland istint just about spuds drink and green alldo we do all of those things we do everthing else aswell :) ohh and we drink aswell :) lk anywhere else

Hi,
We're not breeding ours but have two for eggs. One is a Brown Leg Horn (what I'd call a standard brown chicken). She lays white eggs and what we got sold as a Daisy Bell. She has mostly black feathers with a brown - ish speckled neck and black legs and is a big heavy bird with wide shoulders. She lays brown eggs. We had two others a grey Blue Bell and a black and white speckled one. Not a Maran as the eggs were just a normal brown. They are both spoilt rotten!

Back
Top Bottom