Anyone in the Northern part of the states getting eggs still shipped..

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
to them??? I am asking because I'm curious if I should risk ordering some eggs now. I am located in Pennsylvania (south western) and it gets and has been way below freezing somedays. Lately though its been staying slightly above. Just curious who out there has been ordering eggs through all this weather, and having sucessful hatches? I had shipped out eggs before it got really really cold to Arkansas and the eggs didn't develop very far and I assume it's because they may have gotten way too cold? Just curious if anyone thinks I should risk ordering some eggs. I miss hatching and would like to have a head start on chicken chicks!
big_smile.png

As long as you understand the risks of shipping during temperature extremes, do what you want. I am shipping eggs still myself, adding quilt batting around the eggs in addition to double rolling them in heavy bubblewrap. I dont however usually risk shipping in the middle of summer since heat is worse than cold for hatching egg viability.

I have a few eggs stuck in transit on the wrong side of a winter pass - am pretty sure they're goners. That's not fun.

Can't you get some hatching eggs close by? It seems like there are a lot of decent breeders in your state.

I am waiting on eggs and the weather here has been mostly wet and rainy staying in the low 40's

only down side i hate about ordering eggs in the winter is the mail is very slow because of the holidays

I am in Western Mass and I am still shipping eggs and have received eggs throughout the winter. Shipping during the winter is far safer than during the "warmth" of summer. I do not ship if temps will be in the teens or below zero or if a major storm could potentially delay a shipment. I do not typically use the PO but instead ship UPS 2nd Day Air. If temps are going to be very cold (below freezing) I may use a heat pack in the box. I have never had eggs freeze and have had very good hatches from eggs arriving even when temps are in the 20's. Remember, cold temps help keep the embryos dormant, and thus at an early stage of development. If they get warm/hot in a box they can start/stop development during shipping and wind up becoming more fragile due to embryological advancement. My founding batch of Copper Black Marans eggs arrived when temps were in the upper 20's a few years ago.

My eggs from the egg swap were shipped 2 day and arrived on the coldest day of the year. So far, they're fine.

Are you getting eggs from someone on here or somewhere like Ebay/hatchery? If they're from here, I'd say offer to pay for 1" thick styrofoam to line the box with, insulate each egg with something, pack in wood shavings, then pad the box with something insulating and ship by the fastest method possible.

But! I would wait until after the $illy $eason.
-Spooky

Thanks for all the replies everyone!!! If I do get eggs from someone on here I'd be happy to pay more for insulation to help protect them for sure.
smile.png
Thanks for the idea!

I just put up an ad today for anyone locally with eggs I can pick up or chicks or even adults. I'm despirate for my own flock ha ha.

I think I'd only get eggs shipped to me this time of year if they're cheap (like mutt eggs) that way if they're gonners, atleast I didn't have my hopes up for anything special. I don't plan anything special until spring.

I'm hoping, however, that someone comes forward close to me with eggs!
smile.png
fl.gif

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom