Anyone in WNY who changed town rule to keeping chickens??

Beau coop - sent you a PM about local bantams for sale

s6bee - good luck at the meeting! Hope it goes in your favor!

I hope you guys are still reading this thread...With all the talk about people having to give up their chickens I decided to investigate my town code. It is very vague as to what you can do on your property-even if zoned agricultural residential (AR). When I decided to keep chickens, I called the inspector to see if I could. They had to check, came back with yes. I asked how many? They didn't have an aswer. They said how many do you want? About 10. They said "I guess that will be ok".

But now with everyone losing their bird,s I emailed the town about being AR property and what livestock could I keep, sell, eggs, crops etc. IN WRITING.
Their response is we need your address to give you that information. I explained I KNOW I am AR, they don't need to confirm it- and I have over the magic 5 acre rule. So what can I and what can I not do with my property? They still refuse to answer me without my address and they definitly won't put anything in writing. What the heck is up with this? Shouldn't town code be fairly cut and dry? Shouldn't they be able to tell me answers without my having to "blow myself in " with my address?

barnie.gif

It sounds like you do have a copy of the town code. Remember that the town inspector is just someone working for the town. From your prior experience it's clear they are not an expert on the town code. You are asking this person to give you their own legal interpretation. I highly doubt that this person is even a lawyer. Even if you are sent a letter from this individual giving you their interpretation, it would not hold up against the town later coming after you if they wanted to. I know it sounds unbelievable, but this is the case.
If your town code is truly vague, then they would have a difficult time to have you get rid of any chickens. I would suggest that you look at your town code closer. Feel free to send me the link to it. Also, I would definitely not give them your address at this point!

Beau coop,
I looked and it appears that at least in 2005 you don't have many restrictions. Do you have some major plans to expand, or do you just not want to make sure that the town doesn't show up one day and say you need to get rid of them? I am surprised that the town doesn't have anything more recent posted. I'm not certain, but I believe that if the restriction isn't clear than you have the advantage. But then again if the town wants to go to court it doesn't cost the decision makers in town any more to go to court against you than it does for you to also go against you! It's all your tax money.
If your neighbors aren't complaining, I wouldn't worry.

Thanks NorTrac,
My husband agrees with you about not to worry. I will try. Let's say tomorrow they decide to change code. How do I prove I had birds prior to the change assuming grandfathering would kick in? I am trying to protect myself if at all possible.

Well, I will have to set aside tomorrow to dig up local town codes that allow them or at least don't have anything against them. Wow 10 acres to keep chickens, give me a break! I thought 5 in Walworth was bad.
Well, my chickens are gone as of yesterday. It was much more difficult than I thought it would be. Who knew how much they would mean to me, and to the rest of the family. I miss seeing them out back, calling me for thier morning treats. My friend is keeping them for me for now till our town meeting on the 6th. We have applied for the variance so we'll see if they allow it. I hope they don't make it to difficult for us.
I will update when we get any new news.

Thanks for the support.

Well, I will have to set aside tomorrow to dig up local town codes that allow them or at least don't have anything against them. Wow 10 acres to keep chickens, give me a break! I thought 5 in Walworth was bad.
Well, my chickens are gone as of yesterday. It was much more difficult than I thought it would be. Who knew how much they would mean to me, and to the rest of the family. I miss seeing them out back, calling me for thier morning treats. My friend is keeping them for me for now till our town meeting on the 6th. We have applied for the variance so we'll see if they allow it. I hope they don't make it to difficult for us.
I will update when we get any new news.

Thanks for the support.
Any luck getting the variance? Just moved to Walworth myself

Back
Top Bottom